Thread: Mulloway stocking

Mulloway stocking

So was walking around Lake Kawana this morning and over a few bridges and was thinking this would be a perfect breeding ground for mulloway, there is some massive mullet,jacks,bream and flathead in there already and the edges are just teeming with fingerlings, so is it even worth a call to sunfish as a suggestion? I’m assuming there would be an issue with unbalancing the ecosystem but it is all manmade anyhow so don’t see the issue..Thoughts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Re: Mulloway stocking

I’m all for stocking but it has to come with a reduction in mullet netting. There’s no point spending millions in stocking a fish that as soon as they leave the mouth to go on a run up the coast get targeted by the tonne by mullet netters.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Maybe get rid of netting during the spawning season should be implemented, I see the trawlers working the mouth of the Mooloolah and it makes me cringe every Xmas and wondering what sort of bycatch wastage is going on out there!

Was fishing offshore at Murphy a couple of year ago and one of them was on the way back to harbour cleaning as they were going. For at least half an hour after they'd passed there would have been 1 dead fish in every square metre around us, mostly small leather jackets. Only saw it the once but wondered if this was just an anomaly or the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Was fishing offshore at Murphy a couple of year ago and one of them was on the way back to harbour cleaning as they were going. For at least half an hour after they'd passed there would have been 1 dead fish in every square metre around us, mostly small leather jackets. Only saw it the once but wondered if this was just an anomaly or the norm.
    There was an English show on tv awhile ago and they were talking about the quota system and bycatch for cod, they were dumping tonnes of cod over the side dead because they already hit the quota, the pros were naturally gutted wasting product and I’d imagine the same scenario would be here,maybe the whole quota system needs to be overhauled and allow to sell everything they net in a stricter time frame similar to the crabs in the Bering sea but then you would have the issue with super trawlers that can wipe out an ecosystem in a week, so that idea wouldn’t work either!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyfuzz View Post
    Maybe get rid of netting during the spawning season should be implemented, I see the trawlers working the mouth of the Mooloolah and it makes me cringe every Xmas and wondering what sort of bycatch wastage is going on out there!

are you absolutely certain they were working the mouth or merely stopped there cooking prawns and cleaning up before going into the harbour. Prawn netters only trawl at night offshore. Mooloolaba has been my home port for nearly 30 years and ive never seen trawlers work the mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyfuzz View Post
    There was an English show on tv awhile ago and they were talking about the quota system and bycatch for cod, they were dumping tonnes of cod over the side dead because they already hit the quota, the pros were naturally gutted wasting product and I’d imagine the same scenario would be here,maybe the whole quota system needs to be overhauled and allow to sell everything they net in a stricter time frame similar to the crabs in the Bering sea but then you would have the issue with super trawlers that can wipe out an ecosystem in a week, so that idea wouldn’t work either!

The T1 trawler fishery for the east coast has a boat size limit already. I think it’s 20m. There was a couple of boats over the 20m limit that were already in the system and have been grandfathered. We won’t even have super trawlers in our waters.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.