Thread: PENN Fathom 25NLD

PENN Fathom 25NLD

Just wondered if anyone has one of these and how is it going and what do you think of it.?
    I like the thrust bearing and note that not many lever drag reels at this price point have one.
    thanks
    Reggy

Re: PENN Fathom 25NLD

Hi Reggy,
    I have had the 2 speed version for 3+ years (never realy needed the 2 speed) and its my favorite overhead real. I have it as my heavy gear, spooled with 70lb braid with 10m of 80lb mono on the top. I can't quite remember, but I think I've got a total of about 400m of line. It will happily put 10kg of drag (need that for the big paravane). I realy like the narowness of the spool. The only thing which could be a problem, is heating up if you had some big fish running hard at full drag and going through most of the line (should be using much bigger game fishing reels for that situation).
    I liked it so much that when I decided to get a star drag reel for "float lining" I got a fathom 25n version (this I spooled with mono). I also have a penn squall and a shimano Charter special (I upgraded the drag on this). To me they don't seem in the same league.

Hope this is helpfull.
    Duncan

Thanks Duncan, That was very helpful. I would like to get the single speed for bottom fishing. My other reef reels are star drags except for my Jigging Master PE5N, which I have had for 8 years now.
    I like the lever drag and the Fathom looks like my next reel.
    cheers
    Reggy

They are quite a good reel, I have 3 Penn fathoms LD's, 1 x 15,1 x 15-2 speed and a 30-2 speed, as Duncan333 said, they may have an issue with heat build up if you hook something that will take all your line on full drag as they are a small compact reel, physically larger sized reels have more surface area to dissipate heat. However that has never been a problem for me as I have never hooked a big enough fish on these Penns to peel off all the line on full drag . If I do I will let you know. Thinking about getting a 40 sized one as well for doing land based ballooning now that my boat is out of action. The smallest (FTH15LD) holds about 385yds of 40lb braid and has 25lb drag. The FTH30LD2 has 33lb drag and holds 525Yds of 65lb Braid. The FTH25LD is just a smaller spool width version of the 30 so less line but the drag is the same.

It would have to be a very decent sized fish to spool you and build up heat on any of them, this is assuming you aren't dropping into 300M of water to start with. But at their price point that are great reel.

You have got me thinking now that maybe the 30 would be better. Depends on weight .