Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommended materials size for fabricating side console

Re: Recommended materials size for fabricating side console

Thanks Matt. Yep love forward control. Sorry I didn't reply to your PM. Hope you had a good trip. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Console

whoaa what a seat , straight out of the mercedes... nice job on the side console , its nice that chequerplate finish. good stuff.

Fellas what is recommendations for.the windscreen. I'm thinking of 3mm wall 30mm (approx) alloy tube (bent using a tube bender) and Lexan say 4mm for the screen.

Cheers

Scott not sure what bender u plan on using but if its a hydraulic tube bender u may have to tightly.pack the tube with sand and tape both ends before bending also check what grade of alloys can be bent i know some are tough and brittle so in your case it may crack and or kink

Might pay to put some thicker rubber trim on that left side of console i once was caining along in a tinny with 3 mates hit a sand bank no shoes on my toes slid under the aluminium ribs and cut my tie open from memory it hurt

Thanks mate. I need to make up a wooden jig to do the bending. I don't have a proper pipe bender. The alternative is to buy some straight pipe and 2 x 90 three bends and TIG them together.

Cheers

If you make a template just take it to a fabricator and get them to supply and bend the pipe.

Got any sparky mates?
    Borrow a conduit bender.

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    Thanks mate. I need to make up a wooden jig to do the bending. I don't have a proper pipe bender. The alternative is to buy some straight pipe and 2 x 90 three bends and TIG them together.

Cheers

Check Gumtree, Here in Sydney there is a guy who loans out stuff one item is a hydraulic bender u leave a deposit to the value of the bender and pay i think $30 a day you get your refund when u return it

i wouldn't go 90 degree bends on a windscreen brace u could take out a eye if u ever fell over and landed on it

Holt marine at Everton Park do ally fabrication they will do it for you I suspect at a small cost . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Check Gumtree, Here in Sydney there is a guy who loans out stuff one item is a hydraulic bender u leave a deposit to the value of the bender and pay i think $30 a day you get your refund when u return it

i wouldn't go 90 degree bends on a windscreen brace u could take out a eye if u ever fell over and landed on it
    90 degree pipe elbows mate so not right angle in the square section sense. Nice curve. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    Holt marine at Everton Park do ally fabrication they will do it for you I suspect at a small cost . Matt
    Thanks Matt. I will.call.them. Cheers

What thickness Plexi? 4.5 or 6mm?

Cheers

Ps. I used Lexan years ago to.redo a.Haines screen. From memory it was 4.5mm. Good but a little bit flimsy feeling (stronger than it felt but)

Rang them Matt thanks. So even doing this windscreen myself it's still a $400 approx exercise with all materials. The screen can only be 500 x 740 to clear everything so windblown spray would still likely get me when seated and when standing the screen would be about 340mm below the top of my head. Would take a while to fabricate up too.

So I am wondering whether it's worth it. I like the wind in my face but on rough days the spray is a pain especially with specs. I don't know whether the 740 high off the 800 high console x 500 wide would really cut much anyway as the 500 wide starts about 250mm inboard of the gunwale...

When it would be up it would get in the way of lure casting unless I was up on the front or rear casting decks but there is often someone casting from the main deck.

Any thoughts appreciated... I think I have probably almost talked myself out of it!

Cheers

Hey scott i think realistically it wont work because your sitting up so high but astetically u could make a small one to suit the boat so it looks in place

Instead of using a bar or tube have u thought about bending the perspex around the sides for added strength?