Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommended materials size for fabricating side console

Recommended materials size for fabricating side console

Hi all,

I am keen to TIG up a side console for my 4.5 Bluefin. I want to keep it narrow and light but strong enough for some rough bay conditions. I will make it so I can stand and sit at the helm.

I was thinking a basic frame made from a combination of angle alloy, sheet alloy and tube alloy (tube especially for the fold down windscreen frame).

Can anyone who has a side console or has been involved with building this type of thing give me some ideas for design but also wall thickness of the tube (I was thinking 20mm x 3mm) and for the angle alloy and sheet alloy and also the best way to frame it up. I don't have a guillotine but have jigsaw, cut off saw etc. I can also procure a pipe bender or weld up to suit.

Cheers!!!
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Re: Recommended materials size for fabricating side console

I have a sheet of 3 mm alloy checker plate that would be ideal that I don’t want it’s about 1500 x 1200 . I have plenty of pics of the one I had in my predator it was screw direct to the floor front and side and a bolt into the turn down on the gunnel ,it was always stable and never came loose in 14 yrs.
    send me a pm and I will send you my number if you want it at a small cost . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Recommended materials size for fabricating side console

A20 mm rail would be ideal up where my Perspex screen was and then you could screw a flat bit of Perspex on it for a bit of protection from the elements, the standard setup was great and I used to drive sitting and standing and using like a center console in crap conditions. Matt
    I live in Carseldine

If you are using the tube for hanging on I would go to 32 mm as much easier to hang onto especially for any length of time.

Many thanks Gents. Matt I will PM you.

Cheers

Pm sent . Matt

If your going to build one anything over 1.six mm alloy is good i built a 1.six mm bait tank once finished it was incredibly strong but my o my is it hard to weld that thin stuff u really need a variable foot peddle for the tig mine are just pre set that is why i tig 4mm so i dont blow holes or make it look shit also can mig 4mm too even mig 3mm but try mig 1.six big mess

build a home made sheet metal bender there are videos on youtube how to build one from angle iron and two round hinges i bought like six meters of 10mm thick angle iron to make my fuel tanks for when my big boat is finished, i'd show u my small 55cm bender but its buried out in the shed under all the Etec shit

3 lengths of angle iron that wont flex, 2 round hinges, 10mins to recess the hinges weld her up and shes ready to bend 3 to 4mm thick aluminum sheet

the one i have the 10mm angle iron for is to make a 1.3m wide sheet metal bender for a 1,2m tank the thicker the angle iron it wont bow in the middle when bending and give a nice radius

this was the first guy on youtube to build one everyone else copied than uploaded there own videos

Thanks to Matt - Bluefin - I have a nice bit of alloy sheet to start bending and cutting. It will form the main section of the side console.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

side consoles seem to be the flavour at the moment.

hey bluefin , on your rig that long storage area you have on the port side, do you counter balance the drivers weight with any weight inside, or you got some other trick .

I fabricated up the console and it's come up nicely. I had a 3mm bracket from the console to gunwale (harrow gunwale) and it allowed the console to flex just a little.bit (console also bracketed to top of side pocket and screwed to floor). So today grabbed a 6mm alloy plate offcut and did an outside joined joint and in business. Solid as a rock. I can push my weight against it hard and it doesn't even look like moving. So I will finish off electrics and then do engine wiring. New steering helm and cable in (Teleflex NFB helm and nice cable). Cheers

This is it

It is no longer a tiller steer. Used TFExtreme cables for the throttle and gear shift that allows 100mm radius bends (very smooth and good for small transom areas). Teleflex NFB helm with dog clutch- no torque steer and can leave steering in any position - like hydraulic but quick helm to helm.

Some photos of finished helm tomorrow.

All in all a lot of fun and seating and standing positions are good.

No flex at all in side console.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    hey bluefin , on your rig that long storage area you have on the port side, do you counter balance the drivers weight with any weight inside, or you got some other trick .
    The storage on the left is my rod locker ,it can take a 7 foot rod easily and would fit a 9 ft long rod if needed as it has a whole up at the bow to put the end in . I had 2 batteries in that boat that sat on that side as well under the floor in the transom area which counterbalance the boat nicely . Matt
    Sorry I just spotted this .

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    It is no longer a tiller steer. Used TFExtreme cables for the throttle and gear shift that allows 100mm radius bends (very smooth and good for small transom areas). Teleflex NFB helm with dog clutch- no torque steer and can leave steering in any position - like hydraulic but quick helm to helm.

Some photos of finished helm tomorrow.

All in all a lot of fun and seating and standing positions are good.

No flex at all in side console.

Cheers

Turned out fruit mate ,I hope it makes your boat more useable . Matt