Thread: Converting Tohatsu M40D2 from tiler to forward control - need help identifying part

Converting Tohatsu M40D2 from tiler to forward control - need help identifying part

Hi all,

I am converting my 02 2 stroke tiler arm to forward control. I have the Tohatsu forward control box and cables/brackets coming, but I need help identifying the part number a component. IN the first diagram attached (called Capture) - it shows the steering shaft and how it bolts to the tiller assembly. I have crudely drawn in the bit I am after (usually a triangular shaped steel plate with a couple of holes in it that the steering drag link attaches to and have drawn in the drag link..

Second shows the cable steering version of the motor - shows the draglink but buggered if I can see the little plate where the link attaches to...

Any help muchus gracias.

CheersCapture.JPGclip showing drag link.jpg
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Re: Converting Tohatsu M40D2 from tiler to forward control - need help identifying pa

OK got onto Tohatsu dealer that had been engaged most of the morning. Apparently it is in a different diagram and the plate is called a steering hook plate. Happy days.

Cheers

Re: Converting Tohatsu M40D2 from tiler to forward control - need help identifying pa

Scott not sure where u are but i have a local steel sales factory that does fab work and a guy was in there the other day asking with a similar piece of metal like what u need and the steel guys said they could fabricate it, all u need is a triangle piece of steel bent than u drill your holes it really is that easy

The older Evinrude and Johnsons also used these two holes for the steering with a plate attached so u can do the same just loctite your bolts if u do

Thanks Gazza.

I was sitting in my boat today. Lot of design and measuring to do. I want to get it all spot on as you dont often get chance to get a console just the way you want it. I will do my best but chances are later i will think why didnt I just...

Anyway I bought a seat slide and swivel and treated myself to a new folding seat so I can have plenty of room to stand at the helm and when seated, slide the seat forward to get close to the wheel and controls again.

I will have a large amount of excess control cable but I will do some lazy circles under the rear thwart seat and rear casting platforms.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

If you can find one to copy a bit of heavy stainless right angle cut and drilled may fit the bill.....and add that little bit of bling if you polish it up.

Hi Scottar. What is the right angle stainless for?

Cheers

The steering hook plate if the genuine one turns out to be "gold plated"

Gottcha. Many thanks for that. I have managed to grab a genuine one off the boat that my forwards control box and cables came from. The wrecker was kind enough to do the genuine drag link (which interestingly has a rubber bush with steel inner at one end) and original bracket plates and bolts to hold the throttle and gear change outer cables in position at the outboard end for a little more than what the controls cost. There is a fair bit of fiddling around ahead but should work out well. I think I will arrange the control cables and loom to come in front on to the motor to preserve my starboard stern casting deck area.

Cheers

I am going to convert this to a build thread. Wheel and Teleflex NFB helm are in.
    Cheers

Ok seat in and basic plans done for console build. 500mm wide should be enough as my switch box and radio will remain on the side as per pic. Seat spins around on lockable swivel just clearing switch gear and has 175mm travel forward and rearward.

Cheers

Injury took me out of play but back in the saddle again. Build has commenced. TIG going hard today.

Cheers