Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: outboard height and how to adjust

Re: outboard height and how to adjust

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    paid $75 for a 900 c 600mmmm square piece for a work bench last year
    That's cheap but what grade and thickness, for a jacking plste you would need something like 5083 and 10 mm is around $340 per Sq metre plus GST, 20 mm is $580 plus GST.

I have been down the track of diy jacking plate on a tinny it made the tinny very uncomfortable to drive the steering was like balancing a ball on a pin was very sketchy

i would recommend just buying a proper jacking plate

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    I have been down the track of diy jacking plate on a tinny it made the tinny very uncomfortable to drive the steering was like balancing a ball on a pin was very sketchy

i would recommend just buying a proper jacking plate
    exactly, the boat already has an aluminium plate hiding who knows what on the transom. Why bolt another piece of off cut plate as suggested on to the transom, get a proper jacking plate and have almost infinite height adjustment off the original transom bolt locations. And it will look more proffessional!

"as suggested" works and has been used on hundreds of boats and is cheap, just get someone who knows thier stuff to set the height up properly

rebuilding the transom or an appropriate shaft length to suit would be the professional outcome if you spending the guys money for him

no idea and was 20mm at 20mm thick it didnt matter the grade it isnt going to fall off
    it was a 30 year old fishing boat and needed a cheap engine replacement to get a few more years from it

20mm is rather thin if your hanging a suzuki rebadged johnson 140hp thats gotta be a 225kg engine i would imagine 20mm plate alloy would fracture or sheer off from the torque of the engine maybe if it was high tensile it would be ok

20mm is rather thin if your hanging a suzuki rebadged johnson 140hp thats gotta be a 225kg engine i would imagine 20mm plate alloy would fracture or sheer off from the torque of the engine maybe if it was high tensile it would be ok
    Should be fine Gazza. Jabba ran a 200+ Hp Evinrude on a similar set up on his Seafarer.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...ciation-thread

Thats crazy seems like there would be little insurance in 2cm thick alloy plate

Thats crazy seems like there would be little insurance in 2cm thick alloy plate
    All comes down to the type of ally, 20mm is fine in a 5xxx type, others not so.

and normally only top two bolts are in it and the transom

i had a 225 black max on it and lasted 4 years before i sold it