Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Connecting multiple fuel tanks to a filter

Connecting multiple fuel tanks to a filter

Picking up my new underfloor tank (100 litres) and I am going to keep the two 30 litre tote tanks in the transom well. I have a fuel filter with two inlets and two outlets with arrows marked as per the diagram below. Is the diagram correct as to how I arrange the fuel lines? I want to keep the tote tanks as reserves, so presumably I just connect the clip-on fitting to the tank when I want to use fuel in these tanks? Anything else I need to know about this? Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: Connecting multiple fuel tanks to a filter

yeah mate correct, fuel in and pass thru filter and comes up clean thru the middle.

i wonder if you will need a t-valve between tote tank and fuel filter?

your new tank , did you go alloy or one of those saint marine ones?

Got a custom made alloy tank. I looked for a fair while second hand and in the catalogues and couldn't find anything that fitted my underfloor space - 1940 x 400 x 150

I would put an on/off valve to the main tank as when you connect the tote the motor will draw from both tanks. I guess it all depends on what your intent is, the tote as a spare or use it first then revert to the main tank.

Intention is to use the underfloor tank first and have the tote tanks as reserves

No worries, just don't connect the tote till you need it otherwise it will be empty when you need it, I'd still put the on/off valve to the main, also get yourself some rubber caps, for both the tote fitting and the hose fitting. Clark Rubber or somewhere similar have a variety of sizes (buy spares) as it's amazing how fast those fuel fittings will rust.

Forgot, I use those little white clips similar to door stop clips to hold my spare hose in place on the transom, I have it in a loop out of the way.

You’ll need a tap on the main tank, if it’s empty it will simply draw air rather than pull fuel from the tote, other than that it will work fine.

Yep - definitely need a valve/s or she will end up sucking air. Other option which also provides a level of redundancy if your fuel line clips onto the motor, is to carry a seperate line for the tote tank. If the fuel line is fixed at the engine it gets a bit harder. Make sure you keep an eye on the condition of the clip on plug if you connect one to the second port without a valve - if it starts to leak air it will give you grief.

An option to consider - what I did for same job: simple and no taps to mess with and means that if I dont take the extra tank/s Idont need to do anything.

I fitted a male fuel tank takeoff fitting to the INLET of the fuel filter. I used a Suzuki fitting. I had to get an adapter fitting but once that was sorted it was easy.

And then put a female fitting of the matching make on the fuel line from the main tank so it can simply click on and off to the filter. (Same as we used to do years ago when connecting fuel lines from portable tanks to the front connector on outboards)

The F fittng on the fuel line seals itself when it is disconnected. So there are no issues with leaks.

And then fitted the same F fittings to the hose from the spare tanks.

bazinga! Easy and simple to click on/click off whichever tank I want to use, straight onto the fuel filter.

Has worked fine for the last 6 months.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Moonlighter, that is exactly what I am working thru at the minute, that is what I have decided to do.
    I am just working out where to fit the water seperator/filter, so I can have good access to just disconnect and connect up another tank or reserve,
    My previous set up, well, out wide when or if you had to swap, was a pain in the arse if sloppy.
    So, it had to be the simplist, quickest method and yours is perfect.
    I like Dignity's idea of those clips, brilliant, having it in place ready to go, that's even easier.

Col

Cool, Col!

My filter is located in a good position on the Surtees so doing the changeover is pretty easy. Under the side deck at the back corner.

It took a bit of thinking with the fittings on the filter head, had to fit the adapter first and then when it was screwed in, screwed the tank fitting in - because the inlet and outlet fittings on mine were both in the same side of the filter head and otherwise would have fouled each other as you turn them to tighten. Anyway worked that out and it was then straightforward.

I have attached a photo of the completed filter with main tank connected so you can see how it looks on mine.

edit: for some bizarre reason the photo has uploaded upside down!

Have reloaded it now the right way up!

B0FB5503-B2E8-4BAC-97FB-EAD02F39B1CE.jpg
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Those Honda/Tohatsu round fuel hose connectors are really good i rate them, the old Evinrude, Mercury connectors are absolutely shit house i have had a heap of them suck air they are a poor design

Hi moonlighter, I'm glad I read that last bit, upside down, that thru me for a minute.
    Yeah, my old filter had inlet and outlet same side, and the previous owner had the two breather pipes running thru the other sides two outlets.
    I thought that was strange, it worked, didn't have an issue, but I have fitted the new breather hoses and they will go direct to the vents at the engine well.
    I've decided to get a whole new filter set up, so I presume it will be the same configuration, inlet and outlet on one side, other side just plugged up. That will make it easier to find a mounting position, to get the feed to the motor without having to bend it to much. I will have to glass a board somewhere so I can screw the filter too,,,, but I like your set up !!!

Col

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Those Honda/Tohatsu round fuel hose connectors are really good i rate them, the old Evinrude, Mercury connectors are absolutely shit house i have had a heap of them suck air they are a poor design
    They are Suzuki fittings on mine.