Thread: Options

Options

Recently purchased a trailer boat, fitted with Navman tracker 5507/5607 chart plotter with no local maps & a Navman fish 4500 fish finder built into the boats console. Plan to use the boat mainly inshore with occasional trips out further offshore.
    I also have (head units only, no fixtures or fittings) Furuno FCV-620/585 sounder & Furuno GP-7000 plotter.
    Was hoping for advice re,
    a) should I buy local c-map and stick with the Navman.
    b) get the Furuno units fitted on the boat, or
    c) buy new.
    Been without a boat for a few years and lost touch of current electronics and am overwhelmed with info from google searches.
    Cheers

Re: Options

Really your call. Sounders especially have advanced in leaps and bounds in recent times with sidescan etc for shallow water work. One option would be to look at a new combo with the sidescan etc for shallow water and use the Navman transducer with a plug change for the Furuno which a better sounder for offshore - just flush mount it where the current Navman is and then you only need a power lead and Transducer plug (assuming it fits). Personally I wouldn't throw money in any great sum at the Navman - nothing of any note uses C-Cards anymore - they are all SD Card, so if it dies the card is useless. If you can find one second hand cheap - maybe. The Navman sounder is ok but nowhere near as good as the Furuno. The GP7000 is a good unit but by the time you buy a power lead, bracket, card if required and an antenna - you will have spent enough to be so close to a new unit anyway (unit dependant of course) .

Thanks for the response Scott, will measure up the available real estate and get looking for a combo unit. I was reluctant to spend on a C-MAP card for an older model Navman. So your response make a lot of sense. Getting the spend for a new combo unit & fitting past the finance minister after buying the boat might be a challenge though lol

I have had the opportunity to have a look at a couple of different display combo units, main contender so far being the Raymarine Axiom, I liked the easy to navigate interface. I will have a look at more when I can. Any thoughts/experience with the Axiom?
    Also, any tips on hooking up my Furuno unit to the Navman transducer. Is there an adapter plug, had no luck with google searches.
    cheers