Thread: Lures recommendation for Jews off a break wall

Lures recommendation for Jews off a break wall

It’s been a while since I’ve been on site and not doing that much these days.
    My young bloke is doing a bit of Jew chasing off a break wall and having reasonable success on live bait.
    He is saying the action is fairly good with Jews rising and smashing into schools of white bait , . He has asked me what lures would be suitable at night that might entice these fairly active fish,
    any suggestions ,I think from what he is saying it would have to be some sort of surface lure . Ta

Re: Lures recommendation for Jews off a break wall

Mate I'd go a drop bear in the same size as the livies/bait they are smashing.

ive seen the fishos up newcastle way use plastics as big as a toddlers leg. kind of resembled a whiting or mullet. even fresh squid they use is huge compared to down south.

I lure fished Box Head Hawksbury River for decades:-
    In the beginning they used white or red and white lead head feathers
    then they went to pink squid skirts with a lead head
    then we saw timber plugs with a lead core
    and also the largest plastics you can throw
    I have caught my largest 68lb on a home made Big O I made from luminous fibreglass

I have seen anglers insist the lure must be able to be cast 80 to 100 metres
    I have seen pro-fisherman use almost unweighted plastic squids and only casting them 30-50m and catching 3 30-50lb fish just beyond the wash in one morning

I spun the headland for a decade before catching my first then after that caught more than a dozen in a couple of years.

One day I lost a fish close to 90lb at my feet (20 feet below) but still not shattered as I had a 45lb fish on the rocks already

It is all about having a lure in the water in front of the fish when it is there and when it is hungry - so lots and lots of casting

It's it pretty special though to have a lure smashed by a big jew.
    Cheers

Trev

Yea bud back in the day I lived with a spin rod in my hands , I could not believe it when shimano brought out the tsm it made life so much easier than those seascapes made at Wallsend.
    we used to target big tailor in white water with our 14’ tinnies around the entrance c/coast nsw.
    And yea we did it every day fishable and we got our fair share of Jew ! By catch , 20kg was about as good as it got for us but got plenty that size , although we did hit a outsized one , one night and we had a overrun way back in the reel but it was back about 350m so we thought we would fix it next day in daylight ,big mistake mr big was well capable of pulling the 350 and ping!

try a Halco Hammer , not what there designed for but they are a surprise packet.

BigE