Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I think Im in the wrong business

I think Im in the wrong business

Managed to short across the battery terminals when reinstalling the starter battery after having it out for a good bench top clean, check and recharge as its almost impossible in its current position, needless to say the motor wouldn't turn on at all. Stupid idiot had left the battery switch on, no idea why and in the process blew the Main engine fuse. Priced a new one and its close to $50, there is nothing to it and am wondering if there is an automotive one that may fit. There was a spare in the fuse box which is now installed but I would like a replacement just in case.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: I think Im in the wrong business

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Managed to short across the battery terminals when reinstalling the starter battery after having it out for a good bench top clean, check and recharge as its almost impossible in its current position, needless to say the motor wouldn't turn on at all. Stupid idiot had left the battery switch on, no idea why and in the process blew the Main engine fuse. Priced a new one and its close to $50, there is nothing to it and am wondering if there is an automotive one that may fit. There was a spare in the fuse box which is now installed but I would like a replacement just in case.
    I want in too. Thats bloody criminal. Thats a deliberate attempt to scam by designing an oem fuse when these god damn things are everywhere in a cheaper form.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy56 View Post
    I want in too. Thats bloody criminal. Thats a deliberate attempt to scam by designing an oem fuse when these god damn things are everywhere in a cheaper form.
    I actually pulled the old one apart and all it is, is mostly air, 2 copper (too soft to be anything else)flat wires connected to the lugs and soldered in the middle.

There may be patents on a fuse design and rather than pay someone else's ransom money they have designed there own, i would pay the $50 and learn from the lesson the lesson may cost u $50 but be glad the battery never exploded and covered u from head to toe in battery acid

Open that wallet Dig its called owning a boat lol

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    There may be patents on a fuse design and rather than pay someone else's ransom money they have designed there own, i would pay the $50 and learn from the lesson the lesson may cost u $50 but be glad the battery never exploded and covered u from head to toe in battery acid

Open that wallet Dig its called owning a boat lol
    Bring Out Another Thousand. I don't mind spending the money just when I looked at the quality of the damned thing it annoyed me, I pay half that price for a reasonable circuit breaker. I see from Scots link above that Narva have one for $15, more the right cost.

Just make sure you check the dimensions Sam. I'm not sure whether they are a standard format but suspect they will be.

Dig lol, is your engine still under warranty? Be cautious if so

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Just make sure you check the dimensions Sam. I'm not sure whether they are a standard format but suspect they will be.
    Scott, did that, 48 mm x 21 mm, found them for $7.55ea so bought 2. I had trouble locating the fuse as I didn't know it was called an L Link, made all the difference in searching.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Dig lol, is your engine still under warranty? Be cautious if so
    Out of warranty, need it for a spare only, surprisingly the local dealer up here said he wouldn't use a genuine and to look for an automotive equivalent.

Blog Entries

Sam why do you need a spare when you don't take your big boat out anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Funchy View Post
    Sam why do you need a spare when you don't take your big boat out anyway
    Luke I do but mid week, had it out last week although not comfortable in 20 knots, followed by the storm that went through the CBD last Wednesday, washed the boat down for me although driving across the Gateway was interesting with the wind which had picked up ahead of the storm. You unfortunately have to work so cant come out, and of course now there is this bloody wind that's going to hang around for another week or so.

the dealer has to buy so many parts to be able to stock the engine, the bloke has to cover the cost and the cost of holding the part forever

$50 in the scheme of things isnt the end of the world

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    the dealer has to buy so many parts to be able to stock the engine, the bloke has to cover the cost and the cost of holding the part forever

$50 in the scheme of things isnt the end of the world
    Stevej, the dealers stock virtually nothing these days, every part I've bought from the dealer has had to be ordered in from Yammy and takes a week, even the grease nipple I just bought, Yamaha Aust only had 3 in Australia. It seems that L Link fuses are a fairly common item and at around $8 in round figures $50 is quite a bit of cream on top. Ill spend the money if its warranted, even the Yammy dealer told me to source it from Repco or similar organisation.

Not really surprising that the local dealer told you to source elsewhere at that price. He is obviously a stand up guy who realises that if you saw one at Repco after he charged you $50 for one, the next time you needed a service, you would probably tell him to whistle dixie. Used to do the same thing when I was in the game if there was a viable option. Most clients are only to happy to pass on good word of mouth after this sort of experience and the opposite spreads like wild fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Sure you dont live in Happyrock ( Gladstone ) do you mate ???..Just been through that with a short antenna for my VHF and ended up going through Fleabay at days end . Not that i wanted to but price difference !!..