Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I think Im in the wrong business

Re: I think Im in the wrong business

I bought a new yamaha thermostat today....$71.....can buy them for half of that genuine elsewhere, but i wanted to go fishing this afternoon.
    Jack.

bit of a generalsation my local has almost everything on hand for my yamaha

point still stands any stock they have they have outlaid cash for and may not recover it for years

some of those fuses range from 40-120 amps, apart from dimensions, can you get away with tolerances, say if it takes a 50 amp fuse, you be mad to go higher but is it safe to go as low as a 30 amp fuse. lm thinking if you had a etec, you'd have to be spot on however with a tohatsu you could get away with a smaller fuse.

Can't really see why the outboard brand would make a difference to the fuse size, fuses are there for a reason, and the rating is selected by the manufacturer to protect yourself and your motor, replacements must be like for like (unless in an emergency maybe) you can't replace a 50a fuse with a 30a just because it's a Tohatsu.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Can't really see why the outboard brand would make a difference to the fuse size, fuses are there for a reason, and the rating is selected by the manufacturer to protect yourself and your motor, replacements must be like for like (unless in an emergency maybe) you can't replace a 50a fuse with a 30a just because it's a Tohatsu.
    . Because it says 50A fuse doesn't mean the circuit will run at 50A. 50A is probably set as a last resort " save the house" rating.
    Fuses dont always mean exactly what the rating says too. You can have slow blow and fast blow fuses. If the circuitry runs close to 50A, they will have a slow blow. If the circuitry runs at 20A, it will be a fast blow. And any variation inbetween

Quote Originally Posted by Andy56 View Post
    . Because it says 50A fuse doesn't mean the circuit will run at 50A. 50A is probably set as a last resort " save the house" rating.
    Fuses dont always mean exactly what the rating says too. You can have slow blow and fast blow fuses. If the circuitry runs close to 50A, they will have a slow blow. If the circuitry runs at 20A, it will be a fast blow. And any variation inbetween
    Yep, know all about that stuff, but still doesn't explain why an e-tec will be different to a Tohatsu when it comes to fuses.

im assuming etecs are more sensitive in electrics and circuitry, hence keeping the right fuse spot on , however tohatsu i assume are more robust outboards can get away with a bit more neglect. however its clear cut now thanks to post #20

your assumptions would be wrong as modern tohatsus have computers and sensors just like any other engine just the etec has/had multiple cpus

How does shorting across the battery terminals blow the main engine fuse anyway?

Could be to do with the way the charging is set up for the auxillary battery.

Fed the positive battery power flows backwards and thru the block mate using huge amperage which blows the fuse as the whole engine acts like one huge ass resistor that is my theory others will probably judge it but have a nice day anyway

He didn't connect it wrongly he shorted across the battery gazza.

Because the power cables are still connected its reversing the polarity ie: power running up the earth cable on the engine than power running thru the whole block by bridging the terminals

no idea why guys, it blew, its been replaced and spares in place. BTW the Narva one is so much better constructed than the genuine yammy one

Dig if your engine is still under warranty be careful because usually mechanics that work for the big brands know there engines and anything u have messed with they may decline warranty repairs on