Thread: Biggest Snapper on Goldie this winter?

Question Biggest Snapper on Goldie this winter?

This Snapper was caught by a mate floatlining a pilchard on the 24's out of the Seaway. Date - mid September around 6am, length 1.10 metres. Weight 27 lbs. It was released after photos. Can anyone better this. We heard of several caught since July over 1 metre but none at this size.
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0691.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	118106   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0694.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	118107  

Re: Biggest Snapper on Goldie this winter?

That's one good looking ugly snapper! The uglier the better I reckon!

How would a big snapper like that go being released I wonder? And is it a good idea for qld to perhaps started to use release weights like they do in WA. Just food for thought!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Wow what an ugly sucker well done.

That’s a breeder for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Fish of a lifetime, what a stonker and a big pat on the back to the angler for letting him live to fight another day..

Plenty wouldn't release a fish of that calibre/size but unless you are getting taxidermied for a keep sake, the eating quality of the bigger fish is average at best..

They actually release pretty well from previous experience, obviously the deeper you go though the risk of a barotrauma and mortality will increase..

Interesting that with floatlining most strikes come well off the bottom and generally about 1 third up the water column. This fish took well off the bottom perhaps only 25m down and on light tackle had plenty of time to adjust. IMO Its probably the bottom bashers using big weights and heavy lines that have more problems releasing such fish after hauling them up double quick! BTW some charter boats and many fishos on GC use release leads for small jewies(under 75cm) as they are very easily barotraumed.

definetly got to fish light for snapper, sure is an old man snapper, like a PPB speciman, dont know if they get them like that still but sure is butt ugly, i couldnt eat that fish , id have to release it, fish like that would be 20 year old wouldnt it. Did he give you a couple runs for his size?