Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 Outings smaller boat sprung a leak, Fund the culprit

3 Outings smaller boat sprung a leak, Fund the culprit

First outing in the smaller boat she was dry as a nut 2nd and 3rd outing she took on about 70 litres of water i suspected the bungs but than took a look and found the damage a hole in the hull it must have had a bad roller at one point and the roller mount has damaged the hull

a previous owner has replaced the roller but left the hole and just patched it with silicone

i plan on taking the boat up the driveway and rolling it back a foot on the trailer than grinding out the damage sand it back with the orbital than acetone wipe than fill it with bog, sand and paint, Right method?

how would u do it? i need to learn the correct method for the big boat i have

Re: 3 Outings smaller boat sprung a leak, Fund the culprit

Is it gelcoat? I wouldn’t be using bog either way. Just grab some flow coat, fill the hole with it and rub it back smooth..
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Out of interest: because I don’t know,
    Since the hole goes through the hull and if it’s in the roller path, wouldn’t you need to install some sort of support as well as fill it up with flow coat ?
    I mean support behind the hole to give it some mechanical strength.

Saltwater fishing, boat mad but has a job that gets in the way.

Good series on you tube Gazza by boatworks today.

I'd say to repair properly it will need fibre reinforcement.

Ahh the big boat i have access to both sides of the hole in the hull but the little boat i need to repair now i only have access to the outside the damage is around 25x5mm

what about these JB Weld Marine Putty's?

I'd cover it with flow coat and take it out for a test.
    If the leak stops fix it properly with mat and resin.
    If it still leaks look at your transom penetrations.

You don't need access to both sides to repair. Do it properly as you have a roller supporting the hull in that spot and just filling is not the answer IMO.

ive had a bit of battle damage in some of my hulls, i just done the flow coat repair and bobs your uncle..

Gazza,
    as it is in a spot that is subject to considerable wear from the trailer roller anything other than grinding it back, re glassing it and then gelcoating it is only a bandaid solution i believe..

Here is a different angle

As some have said - don’t use band aids.

Grind out effected area, lay a little glass, sand, gelcoat.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

I have enough crap on the go guys 2 boats to repair, a trailer to build, a car to fix and register, a Etec to rebuild my life is for filled lol i'm knocking this one of the list for now i picked up some JB marine weld https://www.arnoldsboatshop.com.au/w...YaAustEALw_wcB it will have to do for now if it falls off i will reputty untill winter that is if i dont sell the boat after summer

need the boat ready for this weekend i have spiked some interest in my mate who i go fishing with about heading down the coast launching at Port Kembla and do some outside trolling for big Mack Tuna's around the islands on some Rapala and Halco lures or down rigging the breakwall if its rough outside

prety keen to get stuck back into the trailer but i am wasting all my cash on going fishing

Well why ask how to fix if you already planned to just do a crap fix ?

Quote Originally Posted by brett62 View Post
    Well why ask how to fix if you already planned to just do a crap fix ?
    How long you been around here Brett??

certainly your spreading yourself thin with all the projects, dont feel guilty going fishing, projects do get tedious and costly, whats the plan when you complete the big boat, do you keep the smaller one or flog it or see how they compare and then decide.