Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there anything better than grease to use as lube for steering rod?

Re: Is there anything better than grease to use as lube for steering rod?

Yes i should clarify to, I am a big fan of Candan Ind products and yes Lanox and Inox most certainly have there very own set of recommended uses and applications.

But anything from the Candan stable i am all in on and i find Bunnings as opposed to the auto spare parts stores less expensive for these items.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

I had good success with hydraulc fluid. I would clean out all the grease thoroughly by spraying cheap degreaser into cable and working it in and out and repeating many times, cleaning out sterring tube with degreaser and rag on a drill bit etc and then put on a felt seal on one end and use Dexron III or similiar in the tube. Makes a huge difference and doesnt seize up. I pulled and replaced fluid once every 2 years.

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

I used to use auto trans fluid in my old one....does not form any gum when exposed to water or salt.
    Why have they not introduced mid cable oil ports on morse cables yet?
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    I used to use auto trans fluid in my old one....does not form any gum when exposed to water or salt.
    Why have they not introduced mid cable oil ports on morse cables yet?
    There used to be an aftermarket oiling system but I haven't seen one in years. As for your question - same reason they still make trailers from RHS.

My Evinrude did the 'freeze' bit. Found it was best to discover it at home rather than just off the launching ramp.
    For a while I could fix it by using a screw jack flat to the side of the boat. Eventually this procedure didn't work.
    Saw an article/video on the web that explained the cause was rust inside the tilt tube.
    Followed the procedure in the video to scrape the rust from the inside of tilt tube and it now works like a dream.
    Can't find the reference (old computer blew up) but if you can't find it with Google I'll see if I can find a way of digging it up.

Found the site in the history file.