Thread: New fishfinder won't fit - ideas?

Angry New fishfinder won't fit - ideas?

Hey all,

Currently in my boat I have a Lowrance Elite 5, and I'm currently looking to upgrade it to a new Furuno GP-1971f combo (9inch touch screen).

Problem isn't - it won't fit on my current dash The issue is that the windscreen 'sweeps' back at too much of an angle which means that the new Furuno unit is too tall (and will touch the glass).

Here are some photos of the dash:

Dash1.jpgDash 2.jpgDash3.jpg
    The white piece of paper shows the rough dimensions of the unit (the folder bottom piece is to show depth) - I haven't ordered it yet.

The way I see it I have three options:

1) Replace the windscreen with a more vertical windscreen (Means $$ for a new windscreen and modifying the bimini that attaches to it)

2. Extend the dash out to the centre using something like marine ply (where the windscreen is more vertical and the unit will fit -but will this look tacky?)

3. Have the unit over the left edge of the dash by about 3-4 inches (where the glass is more vertical) using a piece of marine ply just big enough for the bracket to be mounted on (The easiest fix, but would this look terrible?).

Any ideas, suggestions or votes for the above?

Cheers and tight lines!

Ausfish Bronze Member Marchy001's Avatar

Re: New fishfinder won't fit - ideas?

RAM mount will likely solve all your issues.

Get the big one. I have a 9” Axiom on one of the medium size ones and while it holds it it creeps over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Marchy001 View Post
    RAM mount will likely solve all your issues.

Get the big one. I have a 9” Axiom on one of the medium size ones and while it holds it it creeps over time.
    Thanks Marchy - that might actually do the trick!

When you say that it creeps over time - is this over a trip, or over several months? I don't mind if it creeps every few trips, but it would annoy me if it kept 'sagging'

Get a new boat......easy. Seriously though, a custom stainless bracket or as mentioned a RAM mount.

Ausfish Bronze Member Marchy001's Avatar

If it’s rough and the boat bangs around a bit then might need a mid trip adjustment but I think I’ve only had to do that once. Now that I think of it I think I have only re aligned the screens 3 times in 12 months or so of boating.

Hi guys, thought I’d give an update.

I was a little worried about the RAM mount ‘sagging’ in rough weather, so I ordered one of these:

It’s called the Tilt-Lok Electronics Mount from Cisco Fishing Systems USA
    https://www.ciscofishingsystemsltd.c...ics-mount-5225

It uses a cam-lock system to ‘lock it in’ once you’ve found the right position. I’m told it simply won’t move when it’s ‘locked.’

The only downside is that although it’ll lock in stronger than a RAM mount, it has reduced movement (that doesn’t worry me too much). It even came in a little cheaper than a RAM mount (but I had to order it from the USA).

I’ll update with some pics once it arrives.

Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like it should make a mean espresso too......

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Quote Originally Posted by swof63 View Post
    Looks like it should make a mean espresso too......

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums
    Haha now that would be nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk