Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 19r / 19c rebuild value/build talk 👌

19r / 19c rebuild value/build talk 👌

Hey guys, I’ve read some old posts and the content/information regarding answer of the old HH hulls were helpful.

So now I have a few more.

If you were buying 19r/19c with an old 2 banger on it and we’re prepared to pay a boat builder to refitt/rebuild it with a 750 pod /flat gunnels and wave breaker. What sort of money would a hull be worth in what condition ?

What prices would you think are reasonable for a high quality commercial looking finish?
    Transom - $2000?
    Wavebreaker $2000?
    Stringer and floor $3000?

How to locate and find the right hull?

How to locate the right boat builder?

Any answers with substance behind them will be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Re: 19r / 19c rebuild value/build talk 👌

I paid a bit over $2k just to do the floor in my old 19c
    i think it might be more than $3k to do floor and stringers.

Keep in in mind to do the full floor and stringers in a 19c the bulkhead and all the cabin/bunk mouldings all need to be cut out and then rebuilt. Huge job.

for a full rebuild and new outboard, it would be easy to sink well over $40k into one.

transom ...add more $$$$
    wavebreaker.....subtract some $$$$
    floor....add more $$$$
    Gunnels to be made Flat...seriously add way more $$$$$......
    sounds like your up for a serious project, you should be able to find a project boat for 5-7K i guesstimate..

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    transom ...add more $$$$
    wavebreaker.....subtract some $$$$
    floor....add more $$$$
    Gunnels to be made Flat...seriously add way more $$$$$......
    sounds like your up for a serious project, you should be able to find a project boat for 5-7K i guesstimate..
    Haines tax.......add more $$$$$

Transom really depends on builder and there method if they do the transom from the outside big $ very labour intense

Just buy something you can use tomorrow and go fishing or spearing. Something full glass like Alisons or late model Tournaments or one someone has already done up.

General rule of thumb with rebuilds, workout everything as closely as possible (including all peripherals down to screws). Then double it. Should be getting close to actual cost that way. Always ends up more exy than expecting.

Ausfish Silver Member

What do you mean " flat gunnels"?

I can echo the statement made by Vromme,,,,,
    Estimate, then double it.
    If your restrained, then you wont look at things and think, Yeah, gotta change them, cant have tarnished chrome on a new re build !!
    So, by the time you double it, then add 1/4 for the un-restrained purchases, you will be on the money.
    Doing a re-build has to be for the challenge or the journey, otherwise, realistically, you would probably be better off spending the extra cash and
    buying something newer.
    Mine, is into it's 3rd year, Sure, Time and finances are dictating the speed that it's going at, but it is also forcing me to have a go and learn more skills in the process. But it has it's advantages taking longer as well, It gives me the opportunity to personally customise it a little better than I would of.
    What I've found, there's a dollar to be saved if you do as much as you can yourself, I now, would have done the transom and stringers etc if I had it all over again.
    It looks as though your doing your homework on the project though, if you are going to shop out all the fibre glass work, expect extra's, it never goes to plan. good luck with it anyhow.....

Col

My 2.07 meter wide transom cost me about $1000 thats for glue, glass, resin, cloth and all bits and pieces like sanding pads etc.. so when u look at someone quoting you $2500 for a transom it looks appealing if its done by a reputable company

a lot of companies wont touch a boat that u have done all the hard yards and stripped it to bare hull which i think sucks because who needs a tafe degree to rip out the internals of a old rotted boat? its just good money being thrown away

anyhow make sure u dont get caught up with a shoddy business ask the price for a polyester job and epoxy job if they want to charge double the price for epoxy or say they dont work with epoxy tell them to shove it in there hole, any good fiberglassing boat rebuilding company should be able to use Vinyl/Poly/Epoxy or any modern day resins

ask about thermolite too but not needed as a plywood boat will last 30 odd years just thermolite will outlive you and probably the next generation but it is expensive so prepare to bend over and take the full force of the jeti, if u go with thermolite you'll walk in like this o walk out like this O

good luck

edit: i probably put a good 100 to 120 hours in to my transom that is hands on time over six months i don't a few things wrong and mucked up but it came good in the end

what would i change if i had to do it now? i would start but cutting out the entire transom skin, smash all the plywood out just tear right into the thing,cut the cap off, grind and prep for new plywood i can probably do a transom in half the time i took me to do mine today because i learnt as i went a long

if u can hold off untill winter to get the job done u will likely get a much better price on the deal, if u get the whole boat done in one go it will be cheaper again

Had a 565L brought back from soft floors etc..and it was quite a journey...things like ..the way they put petrol tanks in back then....you wont want to use that tank in the future...new tank..Im sure you get the message that its not cheap doing up an old hull.....I think the main point is how long you intend to keep the boat and will it be fit for your purposes....if its say 8-10 years then ok....but if not..I wouldnt even consider it ...there are plenty of sound boats out there at the price you will end up paying...good luck!

also have to consider is it worth saving a dollar for the associated health risks of dealing with fiberglass, $20 paper masks from bunnings aint going to save your lungs

you will not rebuild a old glass boat for what a ready to go second hand one will set you back
    go to the bank borrow the money and just use and not worry about lung issues later on

also all those old haines are pushing 40 + years old glass does last forever

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    also have to consider is it worth saving a dollar for the associated health risks of dealing with fiberglass, $20 paper masks from bunnings aint going to save your lungs

you will not rebuild a old glass boat for what a ready to go second hand one will set you back
    go to the bank borrow the money and just use and not worry about lung issues later on

also all those old haines are pushing 40 + years old glass does last forever
    Or buy someone elses problem that is rotted and rooted just u cannot tell yet give it 2 or 3 years down the track.....

there are easy precautions to take when working with fiberglass a $70 mask is a cheap investment i have used mine for my whole demo and transom build and i only need to replace the filters now due to clogging not bad tho and u know when your breathing in shit because u choke cough and try to vomit but u get none of that using a proper mask but anyone who would consider undertaking a task of rebuilding a boat is not going to cheap out and use paper mask unless your outright stupid!

Hooked on Brooke on Youtube i admire her and her hubby doing the rebuilds they have even made it in to magazines but i noticed they cheaped out and use one good mask and one paper mask this is a big no no

Check out this rebuild on a 18 footer

19r / 19c rebuild value/build talk 👌

She hit the nail on the head! Choose a boat for a project that you plan on keeping! I will more than likely rebuild the kevlacat when it’s required so I can pass it down just as Dad passed it down to me, but I think some boats deserve to be rebuilt and brought back to life more so than others! Look at how many Bruce Harris Shark cats that are still getting around and being rebuilt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁