Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 19r / 19c rebuild value/build talk 👌

Re: 19r / 19c rebuild value/build talk 👌

looks bigger than 18 footer otherwise she is a tiny woman, good to see women getting amongst it, last year saw a young woman do up a put put clinker steady steady she toiled away as i drove past on weekends, perserverance pays off.

For the boat in question I would say that it is well worth the cost of the restore. I did a rebuild almost the same as that you are querying. Local shipwright estimated about 3 months work for a full time employee. I used thermolite as much as I could. Some of the extra costs for the material are absorbed by less labour costs, increased re sale and also the knowledge that nothing is going to absorb water or rot. Its also stronger the the equivelant weight plywood or whatever wood is being used.. The shipwright I used to assist me quotes all his jobs using thermolite and yes he does lose some business because of the extra cost but those who decide to spend the extra are extremely satisfied with the result. Just a simple example of my experience is something as simple as drilling a hole through a transome for cables in thermolight is a 2 minute job as nothing needs to be re sealed. Compare that with a plywood transom where you drill the hole and then spend the time to re-seal the hole with glass and hope that it is 100% water tight. The shipwright I worked with is only too happy to have someone do as much of the removal as they can before bringing the job to him.. Just make sure you take into account the fact that you are going to have to spend the money on repairing the boat when deciding how much you should pay for a boat. Do your research on finding a good shipwright to do the repairs as they have different qualifications to someone that does firbreglass repairs.

Also the shipwrights I have been talking to in regards to removing the fuel tank out are more than happy for you to get in and do all the dirty itchy work to save some cash and they just come through and do all the structural fancy stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

About 10 years ago i did come across one guy who would have carried out the work from a cleaned out hull i think from my bad memory the transom was like $1800 cant remember how much for the floor and stringers but he is still around today i have not spoke with him since way back when

Ausfish Silver Member

There's a qualified boat builder - young guy, based in Manly (Brisbane) advertising on Gumtree for only $20.00 per hour, and will work at your place.
    The replacement of girders/floor and transom is not rocket science and he shoulkd get it done quite quickly, and obviously, for a quarter the price of the big name boys, who would have a guy like this doing the job anyway...

Giddy $20 per hour u supply the materals and electricity starts to add, wonder how good the young blokes work is

Not unless its one of those guys i ran into at the start of my rebuild that quoted $2000 to rebuild my entire boat

Ausfish Silver Member

I just checked his ad again.
    Not surprisingly, it has been taken down.
    As my 'ol mum used to say, " If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is..."

I reckon a lot of the time in doing a overhaul is the tear down that takes up a good portion of a rebuild the transom is time consuming trying to get rid of all the little bits of splintered plywood even just the demo of the transom is a task, what have i learnt from my rebuild? go strait in if the transom is rotted cut the whole outer skin out rip, tear, chop and cut all the plywood out than clean area than once u have the ply back in reuse your old skin if not to many holes, lots of clamps, bevel both sides of the skin cut to 12 to 1 ratio glue it than glass while the glue is wet for best bond build up the layers than bog sand and paint it really is that easy, if u do the entire reskin of the transom u will have to torture board it like i am going to do to my transom = fun times the torture board is very time consuming tho u can do it with the orbital if u can live with a less than mirror finish when done

as i learnt don't use talc or epoxy or both for that fact as a fairing mix that mix is bloody incredibly strong to sand!!! i have slight sander swirls on my transom that is why i am redoing my fairing and repainting with a better paint i want a gloss not flat paint

a good bit of advice if u have a mate that can help with the work load and u are both keyed on u could probably do a transom alone in 1/3rd the time it would take 1 person to do the job

Ausfish Silver Member

Have a look here - all the hard work is done.
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/camb...ine/1204214704
    I'm sure he's open to negotiation...

This one needs a lot more work, but if you're local, the help offered could be invaluable. But making the new deck requires a fair bit of skill and if you can't paint, that's going to hurt.
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/manl...-it/1190944961

These 19' Haines Hunters are highly sought after and consequentially expensive, mainly because they are an amazing boat.
    No other classic seems to be as popular with seasoned fisho's for refurbishment, except perhaps for the Formula 233, which is in another league entirely.

The thing to be careful of, is not to present an amateurish product at the end of the build. At sale time, anyone considering parting with tens of thousands of dollars will rightly expect a professional finish.
    You can fit-up any motor you like 2 stroke 4 stroke, doesn't matter - just make sure the price reflects the desireability of the motor.

All the accessories have to be top shelf - good big modern sounder/GPS, new gauges, quality remote filled fuel tanks, hydraulic steering, kill tank, plumbed live bait, twin batteries, new upholstery and S/S fittings, rocket launchers, VHF, etc etc.

Ausfish Silver Member

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/dund...ole/1195349600

Have a look at the above to see what people think refurbished V19's are worth!
    Not a bad effort, save for the use of the old deck.