Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Solo Launching

Re: Solo Launching

L & R catch is the best investment i've made on my BMT.

I probably fish twice as much as i use to just because i can launch and retrieve solo safely and quickly.

Have a 6.7m boat as a garden gnome is a very expensive exercise. The L N R catch is undoubtedly the best money I have spent on my boat. everything else on the boat is worthless if i couldn't put it in the water because i lacked a deckie at short notice.

It is amazing how many 2-3hr solo trips i have done just because i can. I would never have another boat (big) with out it.

BigE

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    L & R catch is the best investment i've made on my BMT.

I probably fish twice as much as i use to just because i can launch and retrieve solo safely and quickly.

Have a 6.7m boat as a garden gnome is a very expensive exercise. The L N R catch is undoubtedly the best money I have spent on my boat. everything else on the boat is worthless if i couldn't put it in the water because i lacked a deckie at short notice.

It is amazing how many 2-3hr solo trips i have done just because i can. I would never have another boat (big) with out it.

BigE
    Yeah I do the solo stuff using boat catch on a 6.25 plate boat - works a treat
    Cheers

Trev

I go solo all the time in my 6M CC Performance platey with boat catch. I was confident to launch and retrieve solo from day one with limited experience after a quick intro from Sam. Not sure I would use boat as much without boat catch for early morning excursions.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Ausfish mobile app

Solo Launching

When solo I Personally can’t see any benefit in a boat catch for the set up I have, I always launch and retrieve beside a pontoon and would still get out as often, as I would still be keeping the safety chain on going up and down the ramp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

I keep the safety chain and winch

Oops. Tapped wrong button. I keep safety chain and winch shackle on at all times until boat is in water or ready to be driven back up ramp. Never rely on boat catch only on any ramp.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyfuzz View Post
    When solo I Personally can’t see any benefit in a boat catch for the set up I have, I always launch and retrieve beside a pontoon and would still get out as often, as I would still be keeping the safety chain on going up and down the ramp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Same for me. If my local ramp didn't have a pontoon in the middle or had a pontoon away from the ramp, I could see the benefit. Would I fork out 800 clams...……...probably not - I suspect the bit of rope and a cleat beside the window would be where it's at. As it stands now, I'd be climbing in and out of the boat more to use one, dunking the trailer a lot further and in the grand scheme of things saving little to no time. Driving off on our local ramp would actually involve a longer wait under some circumstances should you be solo - can't allow the tide to take you sideways unless you don't like your prop and if there were boats on the pontoon behind you, you would have to wait for them so you could back out - only to then have to try and come along side the pontoon into the current ….. or take your chances with the shallow side of the ramp and the pylon retaining frames for the pontoon - only played that game once. Horses for courses I guess.

Re Glass boats:

Have a 6.5m 2.5t boat and a properly set up bunk trailer. Drive on/off solo all the time very simple and quick. Find it as easy if not easier than my little 4m glass tiller.

Only reason I would have a roller trailer is for shallow/beach launching (as I do with the tiller steer). If all typical ramp use then bunks are the go. Better on hull and only need to get the bow between the skids (even at 45dgrees) and let the bunks centre boat and drive on. Cross wind/tide not a drama. Often amazes me how long it takes some ppl to launch and retrieve.

Also cant believe blokes too lazy to wind on a winch. Good bit of exercise (but only a little in reality.)

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vromme View Post
    Re Glass boats:

Have a 6.5m 2.5t boat and a properly set up bunk trailer. Drive on/off solo all the time very simple and quick. Find it as easy if not easier than my little 4m glass tiller.

Only reason I would have a roller trailer is for shallow/beach launching (as I do with the tiller steer). If all typical ramp use then bunks are the go. Better on hull and only need to get the bow between the skids (even at 45dgrees) and let the bunks centre boat and drive on. Cross wind/tide not a drama. Often amazes me how long it takes some ppl to launch and retrieve.

Also cant believe blokes too lazy to wind on a winch. Good bit of exercise (but only a little in reality.)
    well, a "properly set up" roller trailer will always self centre , too. Why are "all bunks" so superior? have a look at the trailer below.

There is skid/bunk material (white) on the four transverse centreing frames, which make the boat centre down onto the concave rollers. Centres itself really, unless you put the trailer in too deep. Rear bunks . This carries a 6.4m glass boat. You say your 6.5m boat weighs 2.5tonne? Surely you mean boat/trailer weighs 2.5 t?

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    You say your 6.5m boat weighs 2.5tonne? Surely you mean boat/trailer weighs 2.5 t?
    Full of fuel, bait, fishing tackle and fat deckie - sure

BTW I have fully rollered trailer but centering skids similar to yours - pair at front and pair at back - I can approach the trailer at 45 degrees and it will centre and align the boat even in a cross current - works a treat

The boat has to be aligned for the boat-catch to work
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    well, a "properly set up" roller trailer will always self centre , too. Why are "all bunks" so superior? have a look at the trailer below.
    There is skid/bunk material (white) on the four transverse centreing frames, which make the boat centre down onto the concave rollers. Centres itself really, unless you put the trailer in too deep. Rear bunks . This carries a 6.4m glass boat. You say your 6.5m boat weighs 2.5tonne? Surely you mean boat/trailer weighs 2.5 t?
    Didnt actually say one was superior over the other, just wouldnt choice a roller these days for normal ramp launching over skid for larger glass boats. The trailer pictured is setup more like a skid (even has skids on sides), my trailer on my little tiller is very similar to it. Works a treat for beach launching and still great on ramp. I also have a 5.2m glass boat with full roller trailer under, good for beach launchings but larger 6.5m boat is def easier to launch retrieve solo. Pretty standard roller trailer that came with boat so prob could be setup better but would be a lot of stuffing around.

Re 6.5m boat - bare hull only 1.6t, 500l fuel tank, 300hp yam, add bimini/seats/SS/hardware etc no change out of 2.5t. Recon with guys/ice/gear etc would be over.