Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Solo Launching

Re: Solo Launching

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    Have any of you guys who use the clutch on a Powerwinch 912 or similar ever looked at the actual size of it?

I had to replace one years ago, after I tightened it before turning on the power, instead of power first and then tighten it just enough to engage to drive the winch.

Just saying we can ask a lot of a gismo the size of a sixpence but with the surface area of a threepence when you subtract the hole !
    I think you don't know how to use your winch Chimo.

Check out this video

Yep plenty of different versions of boat catching latches. Some work better than others. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Ausfish Platinum Member

That's the L&R Boatlatch system, Gazza, same as I have. Works well, at the expense of having a big funny-shaped eye mounted to the retrieve point. Going on the video posted yesterday on page 2 of this thread, Cruisecraft are fitting them as well. They have the same weakness as most of them-once you are in Launch mode, you only need the boat to move forward a little on the trailer to have them disengage. Which is exactly what they are designed to do, so you need to A) leave them in Retrieve mode until you are in the water, and B) keep a safety on as well.
    That mob must have fitted it as a promotional exercise on that Bar Crusher, they normally have their proprietorial Bar Catch system fitted,which works fine, very simple and basic, just relying on a bungee cord to operate them.

You were correct Fed and then I read the instructions and talked to their tech, so now I do.
    Merry Xmas by the way!
    What could go wrong.......................

Ausfish Platinum Member

Powerwinch has to be the slowest of every method, full stop. They rely so much on low gearing that it is painful to watch. I can hand winch a 6 m boat a lot quicker than they can retrieve.
    Let the arguments commence!

I used a high speed 4wd winch to get my Vaganond on. Other times I would drive on. That was a take no prisoners winch.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    Powerwinch has to be the slowest of every method, full stop. They rely so much on low gearing that it is painful to watch. I can hand winch a 6 m boat a lot quicker than they can retrieve.
    Let the arguments commence!
    Lol. No argument and when it shits itself I won't get another one but the f#@$&er just won't die. Much like the anchor winch. Next winch will be home made.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Lol. No argument and when it shits itself I won't get another one but the f#@$&er just won't die. Much like the anchor winch. Next winch will be home made.
    Bit like these old evinrudes, I really want them to blow up so I can do a repower, i won’t get anything selling them and don’t see the point in getting rid of them until they give me dramas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quickest one I ever saw was done with a big diesel truck starter motor, running a belt drive. A cocky had rigged it up, now that thing was quick, just get out of the way!

Attachment 118277

Here is my old invention iused I now have a Boat Catch best thing ive put on the boat !

Hey guys, boat catches certainly work and have their place, but since the thread is solo launching, should be mentioned, unless I'm wrong you still have to drive the car/trailer down, get in the boat, launch, moor the boat or beach it, get out of the boat, drive and park the car/trailer then return and get back in the boat, as you are solo.
    I know it depends on ramp setup, mooring availablilty etc, but as I get older and my knees get worse, I get in the boat once and out once when I go fishing.
    Drive down ramp, long bow rope, launch, float along pontoon, tie up, park car, get in boat untie and off i go if solo.
    Coming in, pontoon, secure boat, car /trailer down ramp, sink trailer a bit so boat floats 3/4 up trailer, winch last bit / secure and off I go.
    Totally different if you have two people, but solo, I wouldn't like climbing out of boat onto wet ramps to get back to my car.
    Cheers
    Muz

A mate has boat catch ..... that spring loaded hunk of stainless steel thing with a rope you pull to release - while it works the margin for error is large (small target driving on ) = not to mention that it is 800 big ones . I have to say I'm lovin the simplicity & effectiveness of the bar catch .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I think your getting confused with driving the boat on and off the trailer ? every other task is the same.
    Either way you still have to climb out of your boat, drive on drive off, my feet don't touch the water, either launching or retrieving.
    Yes, it may be a bit harder on old bones, but I climb up on my ute deck, step on to the bow, down thru the hatch, start up, pull the cord, drive the boat beside the jetty tie up, walk to the car and park it, reversal in driving on. with a second person, it becomes even easier. To be honest, drive on drive off looked completely alien to me 6-7 years back, having winched on for near 40 years, BUT, I am now converted, remembering back all those years, winching, boat getting thrown around at small town ramps with little protection, standing on a slimy ramp with the gumboots leaking !
    I took myself down to a local ramp when I first got the boat and just sat there watching in absolute amazement at the sheer speed and simplicity of how they were doing it, no wet feet ( alone or with 2) trouble free loading !.
    I was converted within an hour, but actually having a go for the first time, was a little nerving, but after a season of doing so, even this old dog cant see how anyone once seeing it done, could ever say winching was better.
    Time to move with the times you crusty old bugga's !!!!
    LOL

Nagg, after 2 attempts, my wife drives my boat on and off with a boat catch, she's never missed the catch yet.
    You don't steer it at all, once you present the boat at the back of the trailer, boat is set, you just throttle on and the rollers guide it to the latching point, not you, the rollers are set to position the boat in place. If you actually did it once, got past the fear factor, it would all click into place. I haven't seen more than 2-3 people in 10 years winch a boat onto the trailer down here.
    And as mentioned, 40 years of winching the silly way, best thing I've ever done.......

Col
    Last edited by blacklab; 04-12-2018 at 05:50 PM. Reason: add text

Hey Blacklab,

Yeah if everything is setup right for sure. But if you don't have a ute to jump on or a boat that favors mounting at the bow and walking round to the helm, well, guess what I'm trying to say is every boat, car trailer setup is a bit different and may favour different methods.
    To tell the truth I launch solo in my tinny but rarely in the platey so my deckies get to do all the work and I do drive on to the winch post if conditions are ok at times.
    Cheers
    Muz