Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Solo Launching

Re: Solo Launching

This video is damn close to how I do it. It really is easy and as long as your trailer is in at the right depth, the boat self centres well enough to always latch on.

Hi Evo,
    Hey, I've put my boat on, so out of line, when my deckie drove us out, we had to back down and re do it.
    Generally now, I get it pretty right, but it's only been by trial and era and knowing what to look for, but occasionally I will float back
    then attempt it again. But the boat catch latches on pretty well whether the boat is perfectly straight or not.
    I have been looking at that new big V product that there selling now, to swap out my front stop roller thingie !
    they are suppose to guide the boat for that last foot or so. My roller up front is pretty worn anyhow, so I may fit that one up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyfuzz View Post
    Sounds more complicated than it needs to be! I just tie a line(bowline loops)from trailer to bowsprit(rope longer than trailer) reverse down till boat is in enough water to float transom, take off chain and winch reverse down a bit more and hit the brakes to let the boat slide off, remove rope from bowsprit or trailer, tie off and park car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Some of us have trailers where the rollers actually...……..roll - deliberately even. Nothing complicated about a bit of rope the right length with an eye spliced in either end. Personally I don't drive on or off and use a controlled descent from the trailer via the brake knob on the powerwinch. If you just let her go, the shock loading when stuff comes tight isn't a good thing. Single handed where I launch simply means I leave the front of the boat in the roller cradle to stop the current taking it if I'm on a run out tide.

Boat catches of whatever brand, do their job well but IMO should never be relied upon for transit up or down the ramp. I am also not a fan of some designs as far as being a securing point for trailering either. The extra leverage due to the size of the hoop fitted to the bow opens it up like it's made of playdoh in an "Oh shit" moment - I've seen the results first hand.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Some of us have trailers where the rollers actually...……..roll - deliberately even. Nothing complicated about a bit of rope the right length with an eye spliced in either end. Personally I don't drive on or off and use a controlled descent from the trailer via the brake knob on the powerwinch. If you just let her go, the shock loading when stuff comes tight isn't a good thing. Single handed where I launch simply means I leave the front of the boat in the roller cradle to stop the current taking it if I'm on a run out tide.

Boat catches of whatever brand, do their job well but IMO should never be relied upon for transit up or down the ramp. I am also not a fan of some designs as far as being a securing point for trailering either. The extra leverage due to the size of the hoop fitted to the bow opens it up like it's made of playdoh in an "Oh shit" moment - I've seen the results first hand.
    Scott, I rarely manage to get the boat all the way up on the trailer when driving on, now I notice that the trailer is probably not deep enough but to do as per Raylamps video the vehicle would have to have the rear wheels submerged where I launch. I recently retrieved the boat by winching it on as the ramp was so shallow I had no other choice, what I'm interested in is that you launch your boat by releasing the brake on your power winch, something I hadn't thought of as often I know I'm going to come back when the tide is going to be low. I keep meaning to throw the battery drill in the car to unwind the power winch as its so slow with the handle but keep forgetting.

I have used the boat catch for several years but do not count on it - I have a chain with quick release I connect to boat as well then I do not have to bother with winch strap or turn-buckle etc - very fast and very safe.

I did a trip in after camping Musgrave to 1770 as a storm approached on dusk - boat on trailer - 3 kids and adult onboard plus camping gear - halfway up the ramp the catch had not engaged the pin properly which is easily missed in the dark in a storm and the boat slid back pull up the catch on chain - it stressed the catch but did not let go. Would have been real ugly if it did. I have a bigger catch now
    Cheers

Trev

Here is a video of a septic using a rope method on a bunk trailer. I still wouldn't trust it - i keep the safety, winch along with the L&R on until the boat is in the water.

Re unwinding the powerwinch
    I let the boat do the unwinding all the way to the end of the trailer so the hook is in place and ready to haul the boat on.
    I still use the climbing eight as the brake and with it I can control the speed of the Vagabond rolling off the Timka multi roller trailer

In fact with one hand I can stop the bot part way down if I choose to. Certainly don't let it go full speed as it would end up on the other side of the channel,
    The paynter then gets used after the powerwich hook and the "Eight" brake line is released.

I never drive on either and have minimal maintenance required on triler hubs rotors and brake pades etc which is just as I like it.
    What could go wrong.......................

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Scott, I rarely manage to get the boat all the way up on the trailer when driving on, now I notice that the trailer is probably not deep enough but to do as per Raylamps video the vehicle would have to have the rear wheels submerged where I launch. I recently retrieved the boat by winching it on as the ramp was so shallow I had no other choice, what I'm interested in is that you launch your boat by releasing the brake on your power winch, something I hadn't thought of as often I know I'm going to come back when the tide is going to be low. I keep meaning to throw the battery drill in the car to unwind the power winch as its so slow with the handle but keep forgetting.
    Like Chimo, I never drive on Sam - always retrieve by winch and using the knob on the winch results in a very controlled descent into the water - provided your rollers roll ……..and you don't undo the knob too far (learnt that the scary way). Back the knob off gradually and then adjust as the boats slides off to control the speed

the boys dropped that barcrusher on purpose, makes for great television and shows how tough bar crusher is , think i might buy one .. some good tips here on solo launching from members too

I had never driven on/off before this current boat.
    Unfortunately, if you don't here in Victoria, well, the natives get VERY restless.
    Was a new experience for me, but second nature now, launching and retrieving time with driver is less than a minute.
    Lack of ramps and conditions down here, generally means, unless during the week in winter, you have cues, with plenty of ramp rage.

Col

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    the boys dropped that barcrusher on purpose, makes for great television and shows how tough bar crusher is , think i might buy one .. some good tips here on solo launching from members too
    yeah, and landing on concrete give you a preview of the ride....

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    I had never driven on/off before this current boat.
    Unfortunately, if you don't here in Victoria, well, the natives get VERY restless.
    Was a new experience for me, but second nature now, launching and retrieving time with driver is less than a minute.
    Lack of ramps and conditions down here, generally means, unless during the week in winter, you have cues, with plenty of ramp rage.

Col
    I'd never done much of it until I fitted the L&R, just before our last trip to Exmouth. Launching in the local marina, dual ramp. EVERYONE local drives on. It all runs fast and smooth. When you get back to the ramp, you nose up to the jetty, drop off the driver, then back off and just mill around. The driver is the one who works out whose turn it is. See him backing down, start moving in, hit the trailer just as he stops. He gets out, guides you the last bit, hooks on the safety and winch cable( steep ramp), and off you go. Get a pair of old blokes in a tinny who want to winch on, and occupy the jetty finger while one backs in the trailer, and one ramp is just shut down for best part of 10 minutes.

Yep. Except not all trailers lend themselves to driving on....especially a lot of tinny trailers. Some ramps dont lend themselves to driving on either.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Have any of you guys who use the clutch on a Powerwinch 912 or similar ever looked at the actual size of it?

I had to replace one years ago, after I tightened it before turning on the power, instead of power first and then tighten it just enough to engage to drive the winch.

Just saying we can ask a lot of a gismo the size of a sixpence but with the surface area of a threepence when you subtract the hole !
    What could go wrong.......................

Yep mate. Couldn't get mine off my tinny trailer quick enough. Have a 3 speed 1000kg on there now and can crank it up quicker than it took to set up the leccy and pull it up with the leccy before.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing