Thread: Shorter VHF Antenna

Shorter VHF Antenna

About to have a Bimmini made up for the Quinny and the long antenna has to go and need replacing with a shorter whip antenna . BCF down the road have shorter GME Antennas and my VHF is a Uniden will the GME work okay/fit the uniden??..
    Cheers n Thanks for feedback..

Re: Shorter VHF Antenna

cant see why not , your matching vhf to vhf , not brand to brand but then again assuming connections are universal.

Will be fine

Thank you , will give it a try ...

Found these on Fleabay
    Axis MFV3 Marine Dipole VHF Antenna Kit i mtr

My VHF is a Uniden MC955 Auto Seaphone so shouldnt see why they wouldnt be compatable ey they are supposed to be for Uniden..
    Chased all over town here for a shorter Antenna and you wouldnt believe it !! , so much for trying to leave your money in town...

A typical "short" VHF aerial will be about a metre in length. Plenty of manufacturers do one around this length. Any marine VHF antenna will work. Where you located?

Gladstone QLD , mind you shortest I found was 1.2 and that would have been just about touching the underside of the bimmini.

GME still have the AE30 on their website - may be an order in as it's probably not common. Glomex have a series of antennas at 1m long - will probably need to add a base - TMQ in Brisbane are the national distributor and should be able to tell you if a local agent stocks them. Short antennas are often a more yachting oriented solution due to having additional height for mounting so if there is a yacht chandlery in town somewhere might be worth a look. Modern marine used to be up there - not sure if still the case. Pacific antennas have a short antenna 450mm - will have a reduced range though. Electrotech are also up that way - they sell some better quality products - won't be at the same price point though. RFI have some marine offerings but are mainly land mobile based. Jones communications are also up there - long time business in comms - not sure what they stock.

Assuming you haven't looked at all those already, that should have tomorrow covered

Yep did that lol, to no avail though. Ordered one online..Should take care of things ..

Arrived today , fitted n feel i have better reception than previouse one ..