Thread: 2ST oil contamination

2ST oil contamination

A friend has an 05 140 2st saltwater, which wasn't drawing up oil from the remote tank to the header tank quick enough when at speed. further inspection on advice, the filter in the remote tank had a slimy gel like goo all over it blocking the oil flow. He only ever uses Quicksilver premium oil. Other than the muck on the filter, the rest of the oil is still clear blue. Anyone heard of this before?

Re: 2ST oil contamination

No mate. I had used the Premium Quicksilver stuff for years with no issues. I use Penrite Biomarine now. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

hes probably mixed oils at some point and caused the issue

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    hes probably mixed oils at some point and caused the issue
    he assures he's only ever used quicksilver!

oil goes that like that with water as well normally its mixing oils though

Even with the best oils, filters need routine maintenance, that little filter/strainer getting clogged is a very common issue, be careful when replacing it, there is a little seal that can be misplaced when refitting.

In this day and age our oils from the big companies are premium oils because of today's technology is filled with high tech engines, i doubt oyur Mercury oil has split it seems to me that maybe u have taking on water in the bottle from rain possibly when u get water in oil it makes it go sludge like as u mentioned

its a 13 year old engine, so has 13 years of condensation built up by just the breather

the tank shave to be cleaned out now and then

yeah, guess its something that boat owners may be a bit complacent about compared to their fuel filters. the oil was clean, just had this sticky film over the gauze filter.

Not sure if the Mercury oil is like the Evinrude oil but i have read the Evinrude oil does not have an expiry date

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Not sure if the Mercury oil is like the Evinrude oil but i have read the Evinrude oil does not have an expiry date
    not sure either, I can't see anything that points to a manufacture or use by date!