Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Victron Battery chargers

Victron Battery chargers

Hi All

I'm in the market for a higher output battery charger (25amp min) which needs to have the logarithms for charging LiFePO4 batteries . I need the bigger output for when I'm remote & want to limit how long I run a generator.

I've currently got a 16amp Projecta pro charge & was thinking of getting a 25amp but at the same time I've been looking at other options but trying to avoid paying an arm & leg

In my search I came across the Victron range of smart chargers - don't know much of Victron except that they build a whole range of chargers for general applications , marine & household .
    They do a nice IP67 rated 25amp ….. which means I can permanently mount it in the boat having the added advantage of blue tooth monitoring. (saves me wading out to the boat if I'm charging batteries )

http://www.victronenergy.com.au/char...ger-waterproof

Does anyone have any experience with them ?

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Victron Battery chargers

I haven't used their battery charger but use their MPPT solar controllers https://www.victronenergy.com.au/solar-charge-controllers/ in my 4X4 and in my camper and have found them great. I have the blue tooth dongle and can check batteries and panels from my phone so no more running around the campsite with a multi-meter checking things are charging

From my experience I wouldn't hesitate to try their other products

Cheers Matt

Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    I haven't used their battery charger but use their MPPT solar controllers https://www.victronenergy.com.au/solar-charge-controllers/ in my 4X4 and in my camper and have found them great. I have the blue tooth dongle and can check batteries and panels from my phone so no more running around the campsite with a multi-meter checking things are charging

From my experience I wouldn't hesitate to try their other products

Cheers Matt
    excellent - thanks Matt

I see they are into some pretty serious kit & a pretty big range
    I was initially considering the multi outlet 30amp charger - but it's not waterproof ( no big deal) but I would much rather have 2 x 25amp chargers permanently fitted in the boat giving me rapid charging for the 2 x 100amp LiFePO4s

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I'm no expert, but certain batteries can only tolerate a certain amount of amperage, hence my optima's max are 12 amps, I use a projector 25 amp but manually adjust it to 12 amps. I also use 2 x Nocos 7.5 amp, which charge both batteries in half the time of the projector charger.
    Again I'm no expert, just using google for info and Optima's site.
    Hope this helps.
    cheers
    Russ

Quote Originally Posted by russ71 View Post
    I'm no expert, but certain batteries can only tolerate a certain amount of amperage, hence my optima's max are 12 amps, I use a projector 25 amp but manually adjust it to 12 amps. I also use 2 x Nocos 7.5 amp, which charge both batteries in half the time of the projector charger.
    Hope this helps.
    cheers
    Russ
    A very general rule of thumb is the initial charge rate should be around 10% of the total battery capacity, a 120amp deep cycle therefore needs a 12 amp charger although a lower amp charger will eventually charge the battery it won't be as efficient and maybe just not ladt as long.l But there's always exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by russ71 View Post
    Hope this helps.
    cheers
    Russ
    Russ

This is one of the big benefits of LiFEPO4 batteries ……. They like a big charge fast - so for a 100amp battery you can use 30 & even 40amp chargers ( just as long as they have the charging algorithms for Lithium batteries) . A lithium charger will pump in 95% of the charge before it backs off & goes into absorb mode . Compare this to a regular charger & AGM battery where it will go into absorb mode at 80% . Add to this the ability to discharge a LiFePO4 to 90% without damaging the battery .. … it makes them well worth considering them if you can afford them.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Haven't used them in recent times Chris but ran them as bench chargers for tech work when I was doing the electronics thing and sold a few as well. In 8 years had only one failure of our bench supplies with daily use. Pretty good quality gear back then at least.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Haven't used them in recent times Chris but ran them as bench chargers for tech work when I was doing the electronics thing and sold a few as well. In 8 years had only one failure of our bench supplies with daily use. Pretty good quality gear back then at least.

Thanks Scott

That's good to hear ….. let's hope that the quality continues today.
    The more I look into the company , the greater the confidence .

I saw one in use ….. & the battery monitoring via the app - Basic with what was the stage the charger was at ( how many amps / battery voltage ) a graph but more interesting was that you could change the output from 25 to 10amp and set the battery type all via the phone app.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Good to know, thanks gents.

just got off the phone with victron ordering bits and bobs. yep. great chargers,
    we install maybe one a week of the 12/30-3 ip22 chargers and maybe 2 a month of the ip67 12/13s-1
    The newer blueSmart series with bluetooth is brilliant and works verywell.
    Highly recommended

Moose

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    just got off the phone with victron ordering bits and bobs. yep. great chargers,
    we install maybe one a week of the 12/30-3 ip22 chargers and maybe 2 a month of the ip67 12/13s-1
    The newer blueSmart series with bluetooth is brilliant and works verywell.
    Highly recommended

Moose
    they are certainly a hunk of metal - very heavy compared to similar chargers because of the construction .

Have you seen any corrosion ? I'm thinking of permanently mounting a couple of the 12/25 blue smarts for charging the leccy batteries.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

if your going to be having them onboard a relitivly smaller boat exposed to salt air i would be advocating for the ip67 jobbies. i havnt seen corrosion on any of them, but i would also think it prudent to not encourage it either

Moose

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    if your going to be having them onboard a relitivly smaller boat exposed to salt air i would be advocating for the ip67 jobbies. i havnt seen corrosion on any of them, but i would also think it prudent to not encourage it either

Moose
    Yep - hence why I'll go with the IP67 12/25
    It will be under a reasonably well sealed hatch …. so it might only cop the odd drop of water & certainly not much of it.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

It will be the humidity underfloor more than the chance of salt water that will cause you issues Chris.
    Main reason why I have not opted for a mounted charger yet.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    It will be the humidity underfloor more than the chance of salt water that will cause you issues Chris.
    Main reason why I have not opted for a mounted charger yet.
    That is true & why I wouldn't consider any fan cooled unit if it is permanently fitted . These are basically 1 big heat sink.

In my Hornet I originally had a Minn Kota duel battery charger under the hatch which certainly had more exposure to water / humidity etc …… it did ok for a few years before I changed configurations & 2x5amps was just inadequate .

I've decided to fit 1 initially & see how it goes - then look at fitting a second one.

We'll see how it goes

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO