Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Victron Battery chargers

Re: Victron Battery chargers

Just a bit of an update - I initially installed 1 unit to see how it would go & was pretty pleased with the result / functionality . I ended up buying the second unit so each LiFePO4 battery has it's own 25amp charger . With the 2nd unit I decided to add a 30amp circuit breaker to isolate the battery from the charger eliminating any draw from the charger allowing for a permanent connection . I'll do the same with the other one next week . Victron.jpg
    The twin Victrons should make life a bit easier when boat based camping - specially if charging will be reliant on running a generator … just plug them in & away you go . With 25amps going into each battery after a typical days spot-locking on the leccy - charging could fall to 1-2 hrs a day running the generator

The app is pretty basic but functional allowing me to see what state of charge the battery is at (Bulk , Absorb , Float) & how much charge is going into the battery. I haven't checked the range of the Bluetooth but it should be handy not to have to jump into the boat when I'm charging when boat based camping .

It's been an expensive exercise going down the path of Lithium batteries & the appropriate on board chargers (+ 2Kva Honda) ….. but think it will be well worth it for the weight saving , extended usable battery capacity (90%DOD) & the ability to rapidly charge at high amperage . Christmas will be the big test with a weeks camping on Whitsunday Island - I'll let you know how it goes

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hi Nagg,
    Looking at setting up two sentry 100ah LiFeP04s to run an 80lb minn kota myself. Have you considered the 24/12 charger from victron? Bit slower charge rate but only need the one charger and its IP67 also?

Quote Originally Posted by 09cad82 View Post
    Hi Nagg,
    Looking at setting up two sentry 100ah LiFeP04s to run an 80lb minn kota myself. Have you considered the 24/12 charger from victron? Bit slower charge rate but only need the one charger and its IP67 also?
    I looked at a lot of options - however 12amps is just to slow when you need to rely on a generator …… that could be 4 or 5 hours each charge. (I ran a 10amp 24 volt charger on my other boat …. & it was painfully slow when I was away camping.)
    The other thing is that you are losing one of the great benefits of LiFePO4 batteries …… pump in a lot of amps quickly .

Finally I'm lead to believe that it is better to charge each battery individually rather than in series . Each battery will get the right charge at the right amperage .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO