Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1770 to Fitzroy Reef & Lady Musgrave Is

1770 to Fitzroy Reef & Lady Musgrave Is

Hi everyone, the wife and I are looking to launch the boat (Bar Crusher 615C) out of 1770 and head out to Fitzroy Reef the weekend after next.

We have never been there before so any advice would be appreciated.

The first thing I want to understand is what weather conditions should we call it off? The plan is to launch mid afternoon on the Friday (with the high tide) so I’m expecting the wind to be up a little. Is it worth punching through chop to find calmer conditions on the reef or will it be crap out there too?

If we do decide to call it off, what are the options for sheltered water.. Turkey Beach, Gladstone?

if the conditions are right, the plan is to head to Fitzroy Reef And stay in the lagoon there Friday night. After fishing on Saturday, head south to Lady Musgrave to spend the night there. Head back to 1770 Sunday after lunch to pull the boat out a couple of hours before high tide.

Re: 1770 to Fitzroy Reef & Lady Musgrave Is

1770 out to Fitzroy lagoon is about 60km in a direct line. So your round trip 1770 - Fitzroy - Musgrave - 1770 is going to run something like 200kms + depending on how much running around fishing you do or more if you go wide (E) of the reefs to deeper waters.

First question is do you have the fuel capacity to do such a trip, with plenty in reserve?

Any weather 15 knots or more is going to be uncomfortable. Its a long run thru open waters that chop up fast. Yes, close inside the reef is better especially in a NE but any S or SE means a run almost directly back into it for 60kms at least.

I am sure others will chime in but we try to find days where predicted winds are 10knots or less, maybe a burst or two to 15 is Ok.

NW of any strength are crap for fishing IMO up there.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

I have 200l of fuel underfloor which gives around 300k range, plus I’m planning on 60l reserve in jerries strapped to the rear duck board.

going off the past few weeks, I think the winds are going to N something. Probably not the best time of the year, but we are keen to get out. Will definitely have a plan B for a sheltered water option.

Best to log on with VMR Round Hill for safety purposes also.

Do you have any WPs for entry and anchorage in Fitzroy, a few bom is inside the lagoon you would want to avoid., send me a PM if you want some.

I’d call it off if the forecast was 10-15knots. Be a horrible trip.
    Def need 10 knots variable at some stage in the forecast. Or your wife will hate you it’s open ocean swell down that way. Add in a 15knot chop and it’s brutal.

Another option is tow the boat to mackay/ Whitsunday area further north. More options in marginal weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Yeah, the forecast isn’t looking too flash at the moment but it’s still a week out. I guess i’ll make a call next Thursday night.

Time to make sure I have a plan B and C. Mackay is a little too far for a weekend trip, but Yeppoon might be achievable for a trip around the Keppel islands, which appear to have more sheltered water options.

Actually next weekend is looking almost reasonable.

On fish ranger, Friday mid afternoon when we plan to launch looks to be 15 knots plus and Sunday when we plan to return is 20 knots. Saturday looks like it would be ok. I dunno how much trust I can put in these reports as they change every day. I'm sort of in with what Flex said about my wife hating me is I put her through a 3-4 hour hard slog out out there.

John, email sent. Check Meteye, if predictions stay consistent over a number of days watching then worth going but if changes everytime you look at it then accept it's going to be crap. Or take the missus regardless then you'll have to find other crew once she spits the dummy, although this can be awkward especially when you want to go and they all can't go.

Free Membership

Hi guys,
    Further to this conversation, hubby and I plan to go camping at Rodds Peninsula at Easter..never been there as we usually go up the Bribie Is passage. Is crossing over to Lady Musgrave achievable from Turkey beach in a 5mt half cabin?

That is a very long way to go to Musgrave from Rodds. Especially in a 5m boat. A quick measure on Navioncs web app says its a bit over 80kms from outside Rodds, and something like 95kms from Turkey ramp, one way.

Different ballgame entirely to boating in Bribie Passage.

There are plenty of decent fishing spots much closer - around the Rock Cod shoals (30kms) for instance, even Fitzroy Reef is about 65kms and has a good anchorage in the lagoon. Plus the 15kms from the Turkey ramp to outside Rodds. Still a long way.

Here is a link to Navionics web app page, you can have a look and create routes to see how far things are up there.

http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en...0yiqCwh_%60%5C

What are you looking to do? Fishing? Snorkelling round the shallow reefs?
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Free Membership

Hi Moonlighter,
    Thanks for your response. Finally someone who knows where we are heading
    We are hoping to do some snorkeling maybe swim with a turtle! And would love to catch some Red Emporer, Travelly.. some big fish other than catfish lol... although we caught a good size bullshark at Bribie a few weeks ago..we would love to go after some big fish for the first time. We are camping for 8 days, so plenty of time to see and do.
    Would it be better to drive back to 1770 and launch from there to get over to Musgrave if we wanted to have a look and do some snorkeling?
    Sandy.

You can catch all thoise types of fish out around the Rock Cod shoals. Wrexks in the area will hold big trevors. Got my PB red, nearly 14kgs not far from the shoals on some rubble ground.

As far as snokeling etc goes have a look at the charts I linked, and see the distances to the islands and reefs. If I were to consider snorkeling out there it would only be inside of the reefs in the lagoons..... there are lots of sharks up there we do lose lots of fish to them and the lagoons would be safer IMO.

I havent been keen on snorelling up around Fitzroy even in the lagoon for that reason.

But it is popular in Musgrave lagoon. Lots of tourist boats there daily. You might like to consider taking the big tourist boat there from 1770 for a more relaxing (and safer) trip to do a day of snorkeling there.

You will see from the charts that Misgrave is a lot closer to Round Hill/1770 than it is from Turkey. Its still a good way out in a small boat, so you would want to be really confident of the wind forecast - no more than 10 knots all day to go that far in a 5m boat. It is going to take you something like an hour and a half to get there in good conditions because there will always be some swell to push against.

We always recommend taking plenty of fuel and the old 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 rule is a good guide - take enough fuel so you only use 1/3 to get out and do your fishing, 1/3 to get back, and 1/3 reserve in case conditions turn bad because you will need it! Always over-estimate your fuel use to be safe.

eg 1770 to Fitzroy is about 65kms. Allow 20kms running around fishing spots out there. So 85kms.

I know from years of records that my boat averages about 2.2km per litre. But I work on 2km/litre to be safe. So going out and running round fishing = about 42 litres. 42 out plus 42 back plus 42 in reserve = 126 required for the trip.

Free Membership

Thank you for all of your information, it's much appreciated. We will study the navionics chart and work out distances and fuel as you suggest.
    Maybe better to just day trip out to Musgrave for a snorkel then to be safe. We might just travel short distances unless weather permits a bit longer distance and fish around the rock cod shoals. and find some wrecks.
    Is fishing off the beach any good at Rodds?
    We saw a YouTube video with a rather large shark, wouldn't want to risk snorkeling near any like that.
    Main aim is to camp, catch our own PB, snorkel in populated areas and above all be safe.
    So excited about stepping out of our Bribie safe haven and getting into some adventure!
    Also..are you allowed to mud crab around Rodds?
    Well done on your PB! We hope to catch a few big ones!