Thread: No water temp reading

No water temp reading

Hi guys got a nss7 and hds 7 carbon networked (eithernet and NMEA2000) to a total scan and a TM258 airmar tranny and can’t get the water temp to read from either on either head units.

Any suggestions I’ve tried all menu settings I can find and all I can find about water temp is about calibration or the temp graph.

I remember when if first connected the total scan to the HDS (before I got the airmar) the water temp didn't work on the HDS but I could get it to show on the NSS7, but now both are blank.

I usually connect the total scan to the HDS and the airmar to the NSS and I use the HDS as the sounder and the NSS as GPS.

Cheers

Re: No water temp reading

It is a network data sources issue.

You can try thus:

Turn everything on the NMEA2000 network on. Go into network menu, and select the option to auto-select data sources. It will pop up a note that all data sources will be reset and ask if you want to proceed, yes, you do. Check to see if water temp is now shown.

If not, you can look in data sources menu for water temp and try a couple of the different options available there, I forget which one, but thats how I got it working on mine.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Thanks Moonlighter. got it working now, was to do with a "Local" setting as apposed to "Global" under network, data sources, water temp.

I have another question for the more tech savvy, the temp on my total scan seems fine but the TM258 is 16 degrees less. Was showing a water temp of 11 deg C when the total scan was showing 27.1 deg C. I have a mate who has had the same issue with his 1kW transducer to a Lowrance head unit.

I tried to calibrate but can only adjust 9 degrees. Wondering if anyone knows why and how to fix??

Check the transducer selection in sonar installation... there may be 2 versions of your TM258 available to select one 5k and the other 10k, this is to do with the thermistor in the transducer, if there are 2 available select the other one and see if that sorts it.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

All sorted mate, you were 100% correct. Thank you