Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tow vehicle Pajero vs Navara

Tow vehicle Pajero vs Navara

Apologies if this is not the correct forum topic. I’m looking at a vehicle for towing only no daily driving. I was looking at either a 2003 Pajero or 2006 Navara both petrol and both about 220k budget around 7-8k. Min 2.5t towing required.

Anything that would make people sway one way or the other?

Many thanks

Re: Tow vehicle Pajero vs Navara

Had a 3 litre diesel 2006 Nav STR towing a Seafarer Victory - not a process I am in any great hurry to repeat. The car pulled the load fine although really steep hill starts were a bit sketchy. Low range on the ramp made it easy but in general traffic obviously not an option. What it didn't do well was stop. It may have been better if it had the optional ABS package but without it the closest description was that under heavy breaking it would lift it's leg (like a dog taking a pee) causing lock up of the rears. At that point you were a passenger unless you could totally release the brake pedal - cadence braking was not enough to get it to let go. The day I picked the boat up from the dealer it pissed down rain on the way home and I came around a long sweeping corner at the speed limit and hit traffic stopped - ended up with the whole lot locked up which was extremely "exciting". As soon as funds allowed we upgraded to a 200 series which is whole next level. I would imagine the Pajero would be somewhere in between. If the Pajero is an auto - wins hands down with the capability to leave it running in park on the ramp.

Great story Scott. I like the exciting part lol.

Forgot to mention both auto and the Navara is diesel (not petrol as mentioned) Pajero is petrol. I’m not after any bells and whistles and don’t care about looks

This was my old Pajero before my Xtrail i sold the P because of fuel usage that petrol v six loved to drink and it cost over $100 to fill up at $1.20L awesome looking four wheel drive vehicles tho, keep in mind i was told if the solenoid in the gearbox goes it cost a lot of money

Auto Navara will be a D40 series which is a different beast - from all reports a better tow package than the earlier D22's. The Nav will be a heap better on fuel I would think and adds the versatility of a ute. The Pajero will have more grunt but it will come at a cost to run.

go the Pajero, get more for your dollar, sound running gear , reliable has power to pull, think the 3.8 is the pick of them, Navara i dont see many around, i believe nissan is dear for parts, and not as reputable as the pajero. also consider an older 4.5 ltr 80 series, full time 4wd but pricey on petrol. And the humble old disco series 2 in V8 , very low priced if your just looking for a tow rig to do local, if your hauling a long way, then the pajero is the most reliable.

In nsw i think we pay extra $500 a year for rego on utes something to factor in

Have Pajeros & land cruisers over the years, & Cruiser wins hands down for towing heavy, mainly because from 1997 ((petrol) on 3500kg towing weight & 350kg ball weight. The pajero is also a great towing machine older ones max 2500 kg, & lighter on the ball weight. Currently tow 2500 kg caravan with 2015 pajero no problems, of course trailer brakes are a must. my NX has 250kg ball weight up to 2500kg then down to 180kg if between 2500kg to 3000 kg. The 3.2 diesel is a great motor around 9-10 l/100 klms normal driving and around 17 towing. The older petrols i found were 15/16 L/100 klms general running never checked when towing. Ive been towing my 3000kg boat which i thought was 2500kg no problems with the pajero, however I've just changed our 2nd vehicle for a 2001 factory turbo diesel cruiser mainly for the extra towing weight ability. good luck with your purchase.

Pajero would be a good pick. Should be able to get a good straight car for your budget.
    navaras are a bit of a lucky dip. Some are bullet proof.

My previous 2 vehicles were Pajeros ('95 NJ 3.5 petrol and 2004 NP diesel). Haven't driven a Navara so can't compare, but the Diesel Paj was an excellent tow vehicle, which I'd highly recommend. Very composed with about 2 tonne of boat and trailer. Paj petrols are very thirsty when towing. I'd get the same economy towing 2T with the diesel that I would not towing with the petrol- around 15l/100k (so similar to what terryC said above). I'd definitely go back to a diesel paj, (if I had to sell the Touareg). You might get one in your price range.

had 4 pajeros.....yes they used to get worked hard towing heavy loads on country roads....I know budget is a prime consideration...but the 3.2 litre diesel versions are far and away better than the older 2.8l....very good to tow with..economical.I can tow a heavy old Haines up to Mallacota and its no strain..had a quick look on Gumtree and there were a couple for sale "around" your price...

scottar why wasnt your trailer braking properly to put so much force on the tow vehicle

towed 2 tonne with a d40 and no issues what so ever stopping

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    scottar why wasnt your trailer braking properly to put so much force on the tow vehicle

towed 2 tonne with a d40 and no issues what so ever stopping
    Car would do it even without the trailer. Did it with my tinny as well. When I said everything locked up...…..I meant everything - trailer included which is probably the only reason we didn't clean up the car in front. Like I said - the D40 is a whole different kettle of fish to the D22.

d22s on google bring up some weird quirks

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    d22s on google bring up some weird quirks
    It was the only thing I could fault it on. Reasonably serious fault at times though...…..just ask the bloke in the Lexus