Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tow vehicle Pajero vs Navara

Re: Tow vehicle Pajero vs Navara

Thanks for your valuable input guys. It’s a hard pick. The Pajero built before 2009 can only tow 2.5t but seems more reliable. But the 09 and later out of my budget. However the Navara 2006 can tow 3t. The old cruisers for my budget are very old and concerned about possible corrosion issues. This vehicle will be driven a max of 5000km per year.

Would be nice to have the extra tow capacity just in case I win the lotto...

i had a bt50 the one before the current model auto 4x4 dual cab with factory fitted AT tyres

in the rain it was deadly would go to go round a roundabout in the rain and you would have to do 5-10kph
    at the entrance one wet day i spun it at under 10kph and was sliding on others had to pull over as thought i was leaking diesel

got dealer to tow it back and all it was the low grip tyres and the tourqe coming in so low with the auto causing it to break traction.

we fitted some highway tyres and wasnt as bad

Quote Originally Posted by Paul071978 View Post
    Thanks for your valuable input guys. It’s a hard pick. The Pajero built before 2009 can only tow 2.5t but seems more reliable. But the 09 and later out of my budget. However the Navara 2006 can tow 3t. The old cruisers for my budget are very old and concerned about possible corrosion issues. This vehicle will be driven a max of 5000km per year.

Would be nice to have the extra tow capacity just in case I win the lotto...
    Don't forget those stats are optimum load, conditions etc, in reality drop half a ton off those figures or you will need to wear brown underpants.

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    i had a bt50 the one before the current model auto 4x4 dual cab with factory fitted AT tyres

in the rain it was deadly would go to go round a roundabout in the rain and you would have to do 5-10kph
    at the entrance one wet day i spun it at under 10kph and was sliding on others had to pull over as thought i was leaking diesel

got dealer to tow it back and all it was the low grip tyres and the tourqe coming in so low with the auto causing it to break traction.

Probably combination of tyres and the automatic stability controls, a bit like driving in soft sand, on sand i turn off the Stability Control (I have a Colorado but still applies) and it's like chalk and cheese, the tail wagging drops considerably, also ute, tray backs and dual cabs need some weight in the back as they are designed as work vehicles. Remembering these vehicles are 500mm longer than a wagon which makes things worse if you think of a lever, the longer it is the easier to move things.

Tow vehicle Pajero vs Navara

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post

The Newer models do it aswell, I have the 2016 model and the 470 N.M of torque at low speed causes the rear wheels to spin in the wet and before the traction control can activate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

I have a V6 petrol Hilux and it is a nightmare in the rain, way too much power in a light Ute.

Paul if u look up both vehicles on the internet you'll find most diesels are up there around 350N.M of torque thats from a 4 cylinder diesel the next best thing is a petrol V8 but in saying that there isnt to much difference in the newton meters of torque between diesel and V8 however when u look at petrol 4 cylinder they have absolute nothing on the other two mentioned

older style V6 petrol engines are fuel guzzlers i drove 2 V6 commodores for 10 years yes they are powerful for towing and holly shit are they reliable but i am done with those cars i think that is why i sold the pajero for me next car i would love a turbo diesel hilux 3L just because they have great towing capacity, there N.M of torque are up there with V8's and u get something like 1000km's a tank of diesel

V8 is the holly grail of towing big boats but if u win lotto you'll probably buy a moored ship LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyfuzz View Post
    The Newer models do it aswell, I have the 2016 model and the 470 N.M of torque at low speed causes the rear wheels to spin in the wet and before the traction control can activate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Terry, my mate carries 4 bags of cement in the back all the time unless he's packing to go away, the tyres fitted as Stevej mentioned are not usually great for bitumen highways. I had a Jackaroo with AT's, I also ended up ditching them as they were hopeless on wet bitumen.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    V8 is the holly grail of towing big boats but if u win lotto you'll probably buy a moored ship LOL
    Yep there's one thing you can't afford if you own one and that's to drive past a petrol station.

Dig 20-22L 100km i cant see why a lot of young blocks rev heads like V8 yeah they sound beautiful but throwing that kind of dough away is crazy

There ain’t no substitute for cubes.
    Much prefer a lazy V8 than a stressed to the max turbo on a small engine.
    I guess everything is a compromise, you just have to look at what suits you.
    Fuel efficiency is only part of the story,

Saltwater fishing, boat mad but has a job that gets in the way.

I like the BMW X5 V8 but i don't think i will ever buy one just because my wallet would be empty every time i fill up

its a gamble but what about grand jeep cheroke V8 they seem to be around the budget your looking at however the resale value on them is low.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    I like the BMW X5 V8 but i don't think i will ever buy one just because my wallet would be empty every time i fill up
    yeah was going to buy one of these, but the tyres are very pricey for the big rims on the back and the gearboxs are tempermental..

Cat i read that about the gearboxes there were a few for sale when i was tempted to buy one, Love the look and sound of them tho in auto when u floor it lol