Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Addatives

Fuel Addatives

Fuel addatives in your fuel help keep water in fuel at bay like Fuel Doctor for instance ?? , these work and help with getting rid of any moisture /water in fuel . Mind you i have a 45 ltr plastic tank in the tinny and gets used quite a bit but still tend to worry a wee bit with moisture in this weather ..
    Cheers n keen to hear opinions

Re: Fuel Addatives

I use STA-BIL in all my Outdoor Power Equipent gear and when i had 2 Stroke O/boards.

Swear by em

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

I have used a fuel funnel similar to these for the last 40 plus yrs and am yet to have a water problem in a number of boats.
    IMHO if you keep water and crap out in the first place you should be able to avoid most problems.
    Filtering fuel that you buy from servos is a worthwhile exercise and with funel like these gives you a chance to review the fuel you are buying.

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

you have to add them to the fuel before storage don't you ?

becomes a expensive exercise adding it just in case you may not use the boat for any length of time

fit a water separating filter and check it

Apart from BRP fuel system cleaner once in a blue moon - never used them nor had fuel issues.

These products have a place especially for people that have glassed in tanks or tanks under the floor that are harder to remove, the key is to completly fill your tank before storing away that u add the additive

If u have plastic above floor tanks u can just water the mother inlaws rose garden with the old fuel

Chimo that funnel this looks awesome how on earth does it work out whats water and what is fuel i would like to see that video reversed add the fuel first and water second to see the outcome

Fuel has a finer micron size than water, hence the water gets retained by the mesh.
    Funny thing is even the heaviest oils will pass through the mesh that water can not pass through.

If you have any known water in your plastic tank just empty the tank and dry it out before refilling.
    Use the bowser not the tap.
    Jack.

What Jack said.

However Re the tap comment : It is a fact that in the case of carby equipped car it is amazing how much tap water one can add down the throat of a running motor before the motor decides its had enough!
    I tried this before fitting water injection to a V8 years ago. Really worked well and fuel economy and torque curve improved and the carbon was reduced and much softer when we rebuilt the motor years later with the water injection still in use.

Use fuel doctor in everything that runs on fuel, love it and swear by it

Quote Originally Posted by Watto79 View Post
    Use fuel doctor in everything that runs on fuel, love it and swear by it
    Yep have run it in the 200 series from day dot and agree , because i havent fitted a fuel filter water seperator to the little quinny as yet was just asking for the case of preventative maintenence . Mind you the fuel in the tank doesnt last long enough to age but being in this part of the World always wander about moisture / water cond getting in the tank.
    Know in the past people saying awee bit of metho in the tank ??, but till today have not been one to add anything i wasnt sure about or havent asked ??.
    Hence asking about the Fuel doctor??.

Two different things here, products that "preserve fuel" and "water preventatives" not the same thing, now to be honest, nothing will simply absorb a decent amount of water and just make it go away (including metho) if you have water in your tank, you have to get it out by draining, siphoning or removing the tank, there is no miracle fix it in a bottle. Some fuel additives "might" help extend the storage life of fuel, plenty swear by proprietary products, but there is absolutely no proof that without using them, the motor would be still OK anyway, if it makes you feel good add some stuff to your tank, but nothing you can buy is better than keeping shit out of the tank in the first place, adding fresh fuel to old fuel doesn't work either, next time you have a bottle of sour milk, try mixing some fresh milk with it and have a drink! it's still sour!

Love the sour milk analogy!

Would help if one read the question to start off with lol, yes if one knows there is water in their fuel or fuel tank i daresay they would'nt run their motor with it in there !!, question was " Do these additives help with keeping moisture /water at bay or getting rid of it if it finds its way into tank via weather condensation etc??..
    Simple question without getting into rocket science ??..
    Anyhow thank you all for the answers / opinions .

Without getting technical, I have always added fresh premium each trip to the old fuel and was told that it would mix and bump up the octane in the old stuff..

I lived by this, with a good dose of fuel doctor each time whenever she hadn't been used for a while (sometimes months) and she never missed a beat over the years!

Or maybe it is just that Honda's are that good

hahahaha

id say you have no need for it what so ever and are just wasting money

it doesnt revive fuel as it has to go in when filling up from the bowser

millions of people dont use and dont have issues, a small percentage do and also dont have issues