Thread: Sounder for shallow water fishing

Sounder for shallow water fishing

Seeking advice on a replacement sounder for my estuary / inshore fishing boat. Currently have a 10 year old Garmin Fishfinder which is now locked on night screen mode so I guess it is time to upgrade. Normally fish 2-10M shallow reefs in Moreton Bay and GC canals. I keep all my marks on my mobile Navionics app and have no need for a chart plotter as such. Looking for a mid range 7" unit CHIRP sonar with Downscan and Sidescan imaging. Have any Ausfishers experience with the Lowrance Hook2 7X TripleShot Fishfinder with a Totalscan transducer? Alternatively, the Lowrance Elite 7Ti Touch TotalScan Combo with touchscreen function for an additional $280. Is it worth the extra dollars? Top of the range Lowrance Elite Ti2 Combo for the extra/extra $300 for fish reveal?. The images are definitely crisper but am I kidding myself it will improve my fishing results in shallow water.

Re: Sounder for shallow water fishing

I have the hook2 7” tripleshot. I’m really happy with it, it’s very easy to use. touch screen would be nice but easy to live without. I’d recommend getting a unit with gps as you can scroll back through sonar/ downscan/ sidescan and mark fish or structure to the maps which I find really handy.

Re: Sounder for shallow water fishing

I run a garmin striker 7sv with all three modes you are looking for.
    I constantly monitor the sounder for fish as I am slow working vibes through my areas.

To be honest, very few fish I hook show up on the sounder in either downscan or side imaging before the bite.
    It does however provide a great view to the side of fish I have missed on this pass and come back to on the next pass.
    My point is the sounder can let you know if there is fish on your patch of reef if you do not pass above the reef / fish, you might want to consider this when you are checking our your target zone with any breed of sounder using side scan.
    BTW, skip the 7 inch and go directly to 9 inch if you can afford to. 7" is too small to split effectively into downscan and side image at the same time.
    Jack.