Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: V17C rebuild and refit

V17C rebuild and refit

Wanted to go bigger than my V146C, so I bought a V17C back in August. Turns out the seller lied through his teeth (I guess I shouldn't be surprised) and there was a lot more work required than I had realised or budgeted for. Anyway, I got it for a good price. It sits on a Dunbier trailer which is in very good condition, although it is quite wide which makes towing it and reversing up my driveway a bit more interesting. I has a Johnson DF140 four stroke on it which should push it very nicely.

Towing home -
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Re: V17C rebuild and refit

I was aware there was quite bit of work to be done and I had some ideas I wanted to use. First the boat smelled a bit so I set to cleaning it thoroughly and fixing a broken bilge pump and battery tie downs. I realised there was an issue with the floor after I had walked around in it for a bit. The bimini, clears and camper covers it came with were rooted, so I drove out to Ipswich and bought a holden ute lid and converted it into a hard top. Took about 10 hours with the hammer and chisel and grinder, and then bog and paint. Cost me about $250 all up as I reused the bows from the old bimini.
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."

Apathy is the enemy

Next I took it to my marine mechanic to get some issues sorted - seized steering and service the outboard. He confirmed the floor was gone, so I arranged with a local fibreglass repairer to do the work for me. I stripped out the seats and side pockets and false floor.

Apathy is the enemy

Here is a couple of photos of the old floor coming out and the new floor going in. The entire floor was replace bow to transom, but most of the stringers were solid. I couldn't afford to get the transom replaced at the same time, so I hope to get 3+ more years out of it. He also fitted a new bowsprit for me and glassed up a cover for the anchor well.

Next was to reinstall the false floor. I got a quote for the side pockets and then thought "stuff it, can't be that hard, I'll do it myself" The side pockets cost me about $200 in materials.

I drove up to Gympie to get a second hand fibreglass esky of the right dimensions to use as the passenger seat. Seats re-fitted. The esky is permanently mounted with some aluminium angle and sikaflex. It won't move.

Other work I have done
    - Remove old plastic rod holders (I can't believe they were screwed in not bolted) and fit heavy duty stainless rod holders
    - Fit and wire new bilge pump, anchor light, deck lights, cabin light
    - Rewire the boat with new busbars
    - Rocket launcher attached to hard top bows
    - New battery tie downs
    - Register boat and trailer in Qld

Still to do (as budget and time permits)
    - New main battery
    - Reinstall dual battery isolator
    - Underfloor fuel tank
    - Live bait tank
    - Sounder and chartplotter
    - Front and side clears

You are going great guns Jeremy. What does that top weigh mate? Might need a bit more in the way of support for rough weather.

The top is pretty light - less than 10 kg. Yes, I have considered whether the current supports are strong enough and it will need to be modified anyway before the front and side clears can be added also.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    The top is pretty light - less than 10 kg. Yes, I have considered whether the current supports are strong enough and it will need to be modified anyway before the front and side clears can be added also.
    Yeah - don't want it smacking you in the back of the head one day in a bit of chop or worse still coming off at 100K hurtling down the highway.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Yeah - don't want it smacking you in the back of the head one day in a bit of chop or worse still coming off at 100K hurtling down the highway.
    Great use of an item I hadn't thought of, a few cross braces would most certainly help. Probably a wrap around SS rail to help support it all and also tie the windscreen in as well.

Good reno there Jeremy, you'll be a lot happier with the 17C then the smaller Haines. Means more trips out past Cape Moreton

thats a groovy project you have there!

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

holden ute lid turned into fishing hardtop roof, CRIKEY somebody give this man a box of XXXX ........... seriously which holden model.?