Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorised trailer dolly.

Motorised trailer dolly.

I have been looking into motorised trailer dollies to move my 16' half cabin around the yard . The land is all flat apart from a laidback kerb that it would have to push it over. The yard is all grass and I was wondering if the small dolly that replaces the original would be good enough. Cheers.

Motorised dolly.jpg

Re: Motorised trailer dolly.

My brother bought a manual version of these, he did need to make a ramp to get over the small ledge between the driveway and the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    My brother bought a manual version of these, he did need to make a ramp to get over the small ledge between the driveway and the garage.
    Thanks Mr Digs. Did it work on grass. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gon Fishun View Post
    I too was looking at this but after reading a few reviews threw the idea away. The wheels are generally too small to work on anything but flat concrete. Any kind of incline and the wheel slips.
    On the otherhand , you can buy a trailer winch for only $119.

I used a manual one on a 15' tinnie for a while. It sort of worked but with any edge or lip the trailer wheels contacted, I had to stand on the drawbar so the wheel would get enough traction on the grass to stop it slipping.

Thanks for your input guy's. I'm tossing up which boat has to go , the 16 half cab or the 14 tinny. Thinking the motorised wheel might go ok on the tinny. Only a small back yard to manoeuvre in. Just can't push it any more with the broken back. Cheers all.

I may be wrong but I think you’ll have a problem as soon as you reach the grass. The motorised wheel will dig in and cause problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

I bought one of the manual one's to move my 5.7 meter glass boat fat chance wouldn't even budge the tyre on the dolly slips and for those looking at the manual ratchet type dolly's be careful going down hill as it can run away

Quick google search - home made motorised trailer dolly shows a few videos of ones made using electric winches that have dual wheels. Personally I would keep the best boat for your back if softness of ride is an issue or the ability to have a lie down in comfort and then find a way to deal with moving it. Better dolly, winches or a front mounted tow bar are a few options

Quote Originally Posted by Gon Fishun View Post
    Doubt it, struggles on concrete if there is more than a 3mm lip.

I use a big caravan motorized mover to move my tandem tinka trailer that carries my Vagabond and it struggles to move an empty tandem trailer if there is grass involved. Its not too keen on slopes either.

One of the little garden tractors might be the go for a confined space.

Having blown L4 and L5 I would sure be keeping the more comfortable boat and just get a system to move it like the little tractor.

Cheers
    Chimo

PS I an so glad I borrowed the expensive caravan mover rather than bought it!
    What could go wrong.......................

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    This is cheaper than one of the caravan movers https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wyon...tor/1193645436
    [/URL]
    I might have go buy that as a Xmas present for my brother.

Be careful of where you mount the towball the blue tractor in the pics has the towball mounted on the flimsy plate sheet metal on the back that is only meant for light garden implements. I have just purchased a Husqvarna 17 hp lawn tractor and the mowing centre made up a really strong bracket with plenty of beefy brackets to take the weight of my boat, this bracket is bolted onto the main frame of the motor and is super strong with no flexing at all. The centre of gravity is low so as to prevent mower tipping up. I will be towing a 4.5 tinny with 60 hp o/b a short distance about 40m up a slight hill. I'm still a little dubious as to whether the ride on is capable .