Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A bit baffled by this one

A bit baffled by this one

A bit baffled by this one, as you know i have a mid 1980's Mariner 50hp the 3 cylinder model i got it running the other day and put a new impeller in it tonight i grabbed the test drum filled it up got the engine running it was idling a little high so i shut it down it was pumping good water i topped off the drum with water made throttle link adjustments than started her up and she wouldn't pump water

i have had the entire power head off and i could not find a thermostat do they have one internally? i never stripped my old power head as i had a replacement

its like this boat never wants to see the sand and salt

Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Re: A bit baffled by this one

Thanks Triple about to head off to get some fuel and test her again i am hopping its just a bit of old impeller lodged somewhere otherwise if it is the impeller those ebay ones really are crap

My first guess would be either the impeller key slipped out and the impeller just started slipping on the second run or you didn't top the water level up enough before the second run.
    Those keys are slippery little suckers.

Could be i didnt have enough water level in the bucket fed but it would have been no more than 10mm below the impeller at the best, the impeller from ebay i was really sus of its quality it was a loose fit over the drive shaft so i had some concern

i just realized some #*@#@ scum bag has been in my boat they took my anchor, chain and rope leaving the bucket it was in, they opended my tackle box with all my big sinkers in it leaving the tackle box and leaving my life jackets i am pissed off BCF want $80 to $130 to replace my anchor there goes my afternoon fishing trip

I ran the engine for around 8mins this morning a small amount of water was coming out the exhaust ports same as the other day on the muffs and water was coming out the propeller but none out the pee hole i may need to look at the impeller housing maybe that is eating impellers as i noticed it had no limit when bolting it down the housing just kept squashing down i didn't want to under do it and have the pump leak but i didn't want to over tighten it either

drop the leg and jam a hose over the pick up tube, at least that will rule out blockage in the powerhead. i never trust dropping a leg into a bucket, had the same as you, works one go, then nothing the next.

I'm thinking the impeller is chewed up or the wrong impeller all together i will drop the gearbox later on today i was planning on doing it this morning and heading to the shop before 12 to pick up a quality impeller but ended up at the bolt shop so i will work on the trailer and do the motor during the week

Unblock the pee hole fitting on the cowl or the pee hole rubber tube or the pee hole fitting on the cylinder head cover.

Hey Fed i have the whole pee hose disconnected so its a 8mm hole off the top of the powerhead it may have sucked up a piece of the old impeller I'm not sure untill i get it off again

Was looking for Moby Marine yesterday got lost and ended up at Hunts Marine picked up a new impeller, The ebay impeller i bought was so soft compared to the genuine impeller i would say it fell to pieces on the first start

the genuine impeller was easily 4 times stiffer than the ebay impeller

Dropped the leg today and the port in the pump was blocked with old impeller bits when the old impeller went it must have dropped all the veins down into the pick up of the skeg

new ebay impeller looked ok i was to buggered to worry about installing the genuine impeller as the ebay one looked good the pump cover slid strait over the impeller i should have stopped right here and installed the genuine impeller but i kept using the ebay one, got the engine running and it wouldn't pup water at idle i gave it a bit of throttle and she pumped heaps of water and cooled down

my day has turned into an absolute shit fight, the ebay impeller is to soft and its not acting in a centrifugal force way so i think the veins on the impeller are just folding back allowing water to pass over them

tomorrow i will install the genuine impeller and take her down to the river for a spin and to set that mad advanced timing whole at WOT should be interesting.... 45kph down the lake while i have my head and hands next to the flywheel

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Dropped the leg today and the port in the pump was blocked with old impeller bits when the old impeller went it must have dropped all the veins down into the pick up of the skeg

new ebay impeller looked ok i was to buggered to worry about installing the genuine impeller as the ebay one looked good the pump cover slid strait over the impeller i should have stopped right here and installed the genuine impeller but i kept using the ebay one, got the engine running and it wouldn't pup water at idle i gave it a bit of throttle and she pumped heaps of water and cooled down

my day has turned into an absolute shit fight, the ebay impeller is to soft and its not acting in a centrifugal force way so i think the veins on the impeller are just folding back allowing water to pass over them

tomorrow i will install the genuine impeller and take her down to the river for a spin and to set that mad advanced timing whole at WOT should be interesting.... 45kph down the lake while i have my head and hands next to the flywheel
    isnt it easier to take the prop off and put the leg in the bucket?

Andy i had the gearbox off today installed the new genuine impeller filled up the test barrel it pumps good for 15 seconds than nothing if i turn up the idle she pumps water steam comes out of the pee hole

Im taking it to the lake tomorrow to hopefully see it work but not expecting much to change

My pee hose goes to the top of the engine block than a hose runs down to below the powerhead with the outlet do u think it needs this hose attached to gravity siphon the water some how? I couldnt get the hose on so left it off for testing

If it pumps and then stops, my money is on a chunk of impeller still floating around that eventually makes it's way somewhere and blocks the flow.