Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A bit baffled by this one

Re: A bit baffled by this one

Yeah i thought that to Scottar i watched a guy on youtube last night hook a hose up to his pee hose and back flysh the engine

I meant to do the timing test, pull the prop off and drop the leg in a bucket. Shouldnt be much turbulance.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy56 View Post
    I meant to do the timing test, pull the prop off and drop the leg in a bucket. Shouldnt be much turbulance.
    You need the prop or a test prop to put the motor under the correct load.

Quote Originally Posted by Gon Fishun View Post
    You need the prop or a test prop to put the motor under the correct load.
    Ok, i just saw 5400rpm and i didnt think the timing changed under load or no load.

Called around again to find a shop to do my timing this time i called Wollongong a Mercury dealer and the wait is 3 weeks and it depends on the condition of my engine so I'm just going to wing it and take it down the river/lake hopefully later in the week

as you are probably aware, the advance is mechanical(so load is not critical), so you should see the timing plate rotate as you wind on the throttle, thus advancing the timing. if you drop the leg in the water without the prop, take a lead off no.2 or 3 plug(assuming its a 3cyl.). the motor won't rev as high, but the timing will still advance. adjust as required.

I'm just going to do it as per the manual mate i have set the cranking timing to 28 degrees which should put me in the ball park of 23 degrees at wot i think that is my understanding than i need to fine tune it to 23 but 28 cranking gets me in the range that wont melt a piston

the work shop manual is really crappy hard to understand

Took her down the lake my cousin was sitting in the xtrail with foot on brake i started her up done the first test it showed 24 degrees at WOT throttled back made adjustments, throttled up 23.5 degrees throttled back made adjustments 23 degrees bang on

the power of the engine increased probably 1/4 extra once i hit the right timing the engine had that nice WOT rorrr of a 2 banger

still not pumping water at idle tho with a little rev she starts pumping do u guys think i might need a whole new pump kit? kind of baffled by this the housing looked fine, i took the intake grate off today and checked for left over impeller bits couldn't find anything

Sounds like the wear plate may be worn.

I'm not sure if this was covered but what does the thermostat look like, my little 30hp was playing up at low revs, the thermostat was stuffed, replaced it and worked well afterwards.

Aussie the top plate looked ok i might have ot take it off for another look

Dig no thermostats on this model as i thought the same thing

kind of thinking the only thing it can be is the pump however running it at WOT for 1 to 2mins it never got hot it only reached running temps

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Took her down the lake my cousin was sitting in the xtrail with foot on brake i started her up done the first test it showed 24 degrees at WOT throttled back made adjustments, throttled up 23.5 degrees throttled back made adjustments 23 degrees bang on

the power of the engine increased probably 1/4 extra once i hit the right timing the engine had that nice WOT rorrr of a 2 banger

still not pumping water at idle tho with a little rev she starts pumping do u guys think i might need a whole new pump kit? kind of baffled by this the housing looked fine, i took the intake grate off today and checked for left over impeller bits couldn't find anything
    Personally I never do just an impeller change - but in saying that I don't change my water pump every year either. A full pump is where I would go next but only after removing the leg and stuffing the hose into the water tube to run it to see if then works. If it's all good on the hose - fit a new pump. If not you will need to look deeper.

Scottar yeah i hear ya, i'm thinking it could be the whole pump there are like 5 gaskets and seals in the pump i have only removed the pump top cover i will pill it apart and see

Removed the gearbox late this afternoon took the impeller out and noticed there were no water pick up pipe seal all fixed now something so simple... i had looked down thru the top of the port but the seal goes up thru the bottom of the housing