Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: not the end of 2 strokes completely.???

Ausfish Silver Member

not the end of 2 strokes completely.???

reading a couple of reports, not 100% certain but as read, carby and efi 2 strokes are being banned, but dfi or direct fuel injection 2 strokes like mercury optimax.. evinrude etec.. and tohatsu tldi.. will continue as they are 3 star rated, similar to 4 strokes and acceptable in the new emmisions standards coming in which will bann the sale of new carby and efi 2 strokes. i for 1 am happy as however the fuel goes in i love me 2 strokes. they will most likely be quiter smoother and more fuel effiecent then the carby/efi. so lads correct me if im wrong but 2 strokes aint dead yet in intirety...
    ill be somewhere up the creek, happy trails..

Re: not the end of 2 strokes completely.???

while he didn't clarify the fate of EFI 2 strokes, the local yamaha dealer said they have until June next year to sell off their remaining 2 strokes. they can't order in more, only what they have in stock.

Ausfish Silver Member

yup erics thats about the dates i keep getting.... but if any1 wants 1, i would not wait till then cos if the dealers are stuck with any they cant sell em, unless they use em on a boat and there a demo/new... and some models are already unavailable..

I would say there have been plenty of outboard purchasers somewhat mislead by salespeople in regard to this matter in recent times. The 3 star rated engines were never in the "to be banned" list. The 4 stroke manufacturers and salespeople were hardly going to elaborate past the attention grabbing headline though.

Ausfish Silver Member

efi are gone also i believe erics as well as carby... on dfi direct fuel injection may still be sold... anyone else wana tell what they know..??

I love my 2 stroke carb. Starts very quickly when cold and immediately when warm. Same as 4 stroke. Great simplicity and reliability. Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    I would say there have been plenty of outboard purchasers somewhat mislead by salespeople in regard to this matter in recent times. The 3 star rated engines were never in the "to be banned" list. The 4 stroke manufacturers and salespeople were hardly going to elaborate past the attention grabbing headline though.

welcome scottar and right on bro...... i thought why is no one tellin the whole story..... so this thread was for us all to know whats the real go with 2 strokes...

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    I love my 2 stroke carb. Starts very quickly when cold and immediately when warm. Same as 4 stroke. Great simplicity and reliability. Cheers.

dare i agree ozscott and be shot down by environmentalist lol... its called old dirty technology... i see it as just a raw engine and will always love em..
    now awaiting to be told how evil 2 strokes are lol...

Yeh love the smell of 2 stroke first thing in the morning whether it be from a Victa Powertorque or a tower of power inline 6 Merc/Mariner. Went well with my extra strong Maccona Espresso and lung lolly. Now all i gots me Victa and Maccona, Bugger.

DoNotFeedTheTrollsAandBelligerent

This has been discussed, dissected, debated and argued about many times, a date has been set when carby 2 strokes will no longer be able to be sold NEW! Current sales are fine, current motors will continue to be used and sold second hand, by the time this comes into effect, Evinrude will probably be the only one selling a 2 stroke here, most manufacturers are slowing phasing out their 2 stroke offerings, starting at the bigger HP, but slowly working their way down in HP. Old carby 2 strokes will still be available in some countries for a while yet, so what it amounts to is, if you are so mad keen on a carbed 2 stroke, either buy a new one very soon and look after it, or baby the old one you have already, or simply move into a modern engine, it's your choice, there's no need for panic.

Quote Originally Posted by up the creek View Post
    dare i agree ozscott and be shot down by environmentalist lol... its called old dirty technology... i see it as just a raw engine and will always love em..
    now awaiting to be told how evil 2 strokes are lol...
    It's not just about being "evil" there is lots of advantages in modern technology outboards, remember, lots of people just don't move with the times, thinking like some do, we would still be listening to a "wireless" for entertainment, going to a phone box and putting money in it to make a call when we were away from home, still driving a car that over heated on every hill, had shit steering and certainly no air conditioning, a tune up would consist of cleaning the points! it not all about evil entirely, it's about getting better use out of what we had by advancing it, would you watch and old black and white 17" TV, that took 5 minutes to "warm up"? I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by up the creek View Post
    efi are gone also i believe erics as well as carby... on dfi direct fuel injection may still be sold... anyone else wana tell what they know..??
    DFI (Evinrude) will certainly still be OK, however, Yamaha have dropped their models, Mercury is dwindling their Optimax line down, Tohatsu is now aligned with Honda, so I suspect they are looking hard at DFI 2 strokes, old EFI 2 strokes are long dead and gone, I don't think anyone makes one now.

Noel to a large extent I agree. But there is scope for carb 2 strokes being a better choice for the owner in certain applications. Just like certain models and years of 4wds are better than later ones in certain applications. I recognise for many people 4 strokes and latest vehicle tech will be better for them and their applications.

Cheers

Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

I guess you need to remember that all this kind of happens in steps, Governments bring in tighter anti pollution laws, so manufacturers simply choke off their engine to comply until they refine what they have to be better, less pollution, easier starting and more power, but over time, the laws change again, so, the cycle starts over again. Anyone old enough to remember when (I think) the HQ Holden hit the scene, old time mechanics were lamenting all the new pollution gear fitted (when in fact, it was ANTI pollution gear) everyone hated it, some removed it altogether even though it was against the law, but, Holden made another engine, far better than the old clunker they had (kind of like a carby 2 stroke now) car engines simply got better and better, while at the same time, cleaner, being cleaner is not just about hugging trees, it's about efficiency, better economy with better power, people can choose to live in the past, it's their choice, but in the end, new technology is no longer new, it's everyday use.

this has been coming for ages. Evinrude have always touted it as they are actually the cleanest outboard