Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommendations for 16 to 17 foot glass fishing boat

Re: Recommendations for 16 to 17 foot glass fishing boat

5.2m Kevlacat. Best 17 Foot boat in the country IMO.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Ok, I missed out on the Mustang but have found some Yalta 535s. Any thoughts on these? And is the Cruise craft 5.0 really bad at punching into a sea?

Saw i have a Silverline 4.6 meter fibreglass runabout it was built around the 1990's lovely boat to drive very smooth, small 50hp powers it with heaps of power even with 4 adults on board, it goes really well in a following sea especially when your coming along on a angle it doesn't spear u even with 3 adults at the dash board really nice boat to drive

if u can find one see if u can take it for a test drive, not the lightest to tow feels like it weighs around the 800kg mark

sounds like a sales pitch...

Not selling yet Cat keepi g her for summer i wanna get out and catch some big calamari along the coast line and break the 1 meter kingy mark just need better weather

17 footer great in chop, stable at rest - no brainer Sea Devil.

I guess some of these older boats, like mine, 87 CC reef finder, you would say that it bangs in the chop, as it does !
    It's a cuddy, which is well forward, which means you feel the chop. But I compensate for that in the way I drive it in short chop.
    That's the sacrifice I make, for the deck space available, which is similar to a few mates signatures and Haines and even comparing to a bar crusher.
    Out wide, it doesn't bang at all and really comes into it's own in a big following sea.
    Can I make my boat an uncomfortable ride, Yep, So, out of all it's traits, that's one I must work around.
    Been in a few boats of the Era, which were very similar rides and been in the narrow Haines which slice the chop like butter, but are shite at rest.
    I don't think there's a boat in the 5-5.4 range your after that has all the great traits of a larger fibreglass boat, Maybe a Cat.
    Don't think even newer CC changed much in performance traits, it's just what one has to expect with smaller boats.
    As far as your question, are the 5 mtr CC alright punching into a sea, in my opinion, brilliant, its the short sharp chop you have to compensate with.

Col

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    I guess some of these older boats, like mine, 87 CC reef finder, you would say that it bangs in the chop, as it does !
    It's a cuddy, which is well forward, which means you feel the chop. But I compensate for that in the way I drive it in short chop.
    That's the sacrifice I make, for the deck space available, which is similar to a few mates signatures and Haines and even comparing to a bar crusher.
    Out wide, it doesn't bang at all and really comes into it's own in a big following sea.
    Can I make my boat an uncomfortable ride, Yep, So, out of all it's traits, that's one I must work around.
    Been in a few boats of the Era, which were very similar rides and been in the narrow Haines which slice the chop like butter, but are shite at rest.
    I don't think there's a boat in the 5-5.4 range your after that has all the great traits of a larger fibreglass boat, Maybe a Cat.
    Don't think even newer CC changed much in performance traits, it's just what one has to expect with smaller boats.
    As far as your question, are the 5 mtr CC alright punching into a sea, in my opinion, brilliant, its the short sharp chop you have to compensate with.

Col
    Thanks Col, the boats I'm looking at are early 2000s so my thinking is perhaps newer hull may be a little better designed than the old girls. Think you have nailed it with going for the better boat at rest rather than the knife through water hulls. I spend more time at rest than moving. Overseas at the moment but will be hitting the market as soon as I'm home. Looking forward to my new boat