Thread: Mechanical brake wire...

Mechanical brake wire...

I have a mechanical brake set up on the trailer..ie actuated by the trailer moving forward pulling on the brake cable .. trouble is I seem to be forever adjusting the tension to keep them working properly....I have been using the ordinary gal wire which Im guessing stretches ...I think Trojan brand....has anyone found a solution to this or am I on the wrong track.?

Re: Mechanical brake wire...

Inverta your cable should not be tight continously it should not be slack either, u need enough tension so the brakes will be effective but u dont want the cable overly tight as u will be riding the brakes

I can only imagine your over tightening the cable causing it to stetch

Make sure its the proper cable and not old boats steering cable

cable isnt meant to stretch, its about 4mm im guessing, id say the brake pads are wearing down causing the slack in the cable, perhaps hardier wearing pads are needed.

Buy a Toyota.
    They use the same technology for their hand brakes.

Its great.

Ausfish Platinum Member

I used to use stainless cable, 3.2mm iirc, didn't need adjustment more than once a year. Gal will rot internally and rust, even if you spray it a lot. As others have said, you wont have it tight, just needs to apply decent pressure when over ride is fully applied.

thanks guys....the cable does get sea water ...so I guess the cable wont last ...its not piano wire tight...just what alco recommend in terms of the gap at the back of the coupling...its quite a heavy boat... if the forward movement isnt cushioned correctly by the wire tensioning then you get an ugly slam when you slow down..stainless wire seems a good idea..not sure why they dont use it...cant imagine theres a critical difference.

Quote Originally Posted by inveratta View Post
    thanks guys....the cable does get sea water ...so I guess the cable wont last ...its not piano wire tight...just what alco recommend in terms of the gap at the back of the coupling...its quite a heavy boat... if the forward movement isnt cushioned correctly by the wire tensioning then you get an ugly slam when you slow down..stainless wire seems a good idea..not sure why they dont use it...cant imagine theres a critical difference.
    Stainless is dearer and most boat trailer builders do everything on the cheap, that's why.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Inveratta have u thought about going hydraulic disc brakes? it should sort your problem of the coupling banging my mates does this but only if i brake hard

I think I read somewhere that stainless is not legal.

Previous comments suggest stainless will stretch more than gal wire and will work harden over time risking failure.
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Every override braked trailer bangs a bit.. Trailer coupling spring tension OK and greased up? Stainless stretches more than gal and will work harden and may risk failing.

Bit of good setup info here.. http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/arc.../t-175098.html
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

I use stainless wire 7/19, 3/16 inch (just under 5mm). Good stuff, flexible enough to loop up and back down through caliper arm with a rated breaking strain of around 1600kg. You will go from constant rusty and stretching wire to only adjusting brakes for pad wear. About 5 to 6 bucks a metre.

Comparatively the cable supplied on most trailers or at shops is lucky to be 4mm and breaking strains around 700kg if high quality. Cheap stuff who knows, 350kg?

The last time I read the standard for trailers and brakes I recall cable having to be suitable. Don't recall anything on material. But you would have to go and confirm.