Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: not the end of 2 strokes completely.???

Re: not the end of 2 strokes completely.???

I think its exciting. I love the sound of my V8 Land Rover but think of being out in the boat and you get low on fuel in the main tank. Take out the tote tank...or in leccy take out the same size and lower weight battery... and meanwhile main battery is charging up in the sun far faster than what we are used to now.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

ven current mass produced electric cars are extremely expensive and that’s given the current range of around a few 100kms, and that’s utilising regen as well.

Imagine the cost in cells to achieve the equivalent range equal to 200hp to push a 6m glass boat 55NM (100km)?

Affordable large outboard electric motor with long range capability would be 20 years away….(geez large hp 4 stroke outboards are still very expensive after being available for about 20 years!)

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    I reckon 10 years Noel. My eldest son is doing physics at University and it's the R&D in some of these new propulsion and storage looks very promising. Cheers.

I have recently been reading about M drive propulsion systems and how science can’t prove how it works . It’s way interesting that a self propelled item actually creates more energy the faster it goes so theoretically you go at any speed through space and always self fuel , stuff for greater minds than mine I’m sure . The future is changing quicker than ever , I wouldn’t be surprised what they come up with . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

I think what we have now sets a bench mark as for new technology pricing and that is the reason nothing is being brought out now like electric outboards because if they were to bring out a nice electric outboard it would have to be priced well enough to be affordable otherwise people would just buy a 4 stroke, look at those torpedo outboards slow as shit and cost a fortune those motors went no where

Agreed. So it’s going to be a loooong wait till the price is comparable for electric

It's not the motors. The electric motor tech is fantastic. Its battery tech. Forget the current batteries. The new crop of batteries will be the game changer. It will be a brave new world.

Cheers

Yes the best electric outboard isn’t going to be any good unless you have the cells to store the power for required range. Chicken and egg scenario

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    I have recently been reading about M drive propulsion systems and how science can’t prove how it works . It’s way interesting that a self propelled item actually creates more energy the faster it goes so theoretically you go at any speed through space and always self fuel , stuff for greater minds than mine I’m sure . The future is changing quicker than ever , I wouldn’t be surprised what they come up with . Matt
    The EM drive was purportedly producing some almost in detectable thrust but didnt the Germans build and test one this year and found the results were probably a result of the action of the cables used and the earth's magnatism. Will need a lot of popcorn and beers before something happens there.

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    It's not the motors. The electric motor tech is fantastic. Its battery tech. Forget the current batteries. The new crop of batteries will be the game changer. It will be a brave new world.

Cheers

Yep agree, but, I reckon charging is going to be the game changer, we currently (haha, a joke kind of) have motors and batteries that can power us at decent speed for long distances, but, charging takes time (well it does now) so if a battery can be developed that can be charged almost instantly, then that's the key, but, to charge instantly, mains power will be required, and then we have gone in a circle again.

Ausfish Silver Member

noelm as 1 example i like to go pumistone passage... in a tinnie i dont mind a stop or 2 at designated spaced out charge points.. if they can get the tech to make the chrage time as quick as a car refuel at servo.. that will be the game changer quick charging units..
    ill be somewhere up the creek, happy trails..

I would reckon a boat to do a fishing trip in the passage would be easily available right now, an electric outboard will last almost all day, but, the big heavy battery needs to be plugged in at home, and charged for hours! Also electric cars are already in production that would suit our everyday needs, most wouldn't drive 100k a day, even commuting to work, so a current electric car would be fine, but most of us (me included) just don't take up the offer, and if you drive a hybrid, you are labeled some kind of greenie, it's still a long way off I think before we have electric only cars in common use.

I believe Prof John Goodenough ( Father of the modern Lithium Battery) released details last year of a solid state sodium battery that they are working on releasing. Extremely fast charging, doesn’t explode/catch on fire, cheaper than lithium! Sounds the goods!
    Anyone heard or know of?

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Yep. Mate it's all very exciting. I have been very unimpressed with electric cars etc but as soon as these new generation of batteries are released it's a game changer. Cheers

I think your right Noel if a majority of city commuters purchased green cars it would be an almost uplift to what technology we have now, as sale promote more growth in green technology manufacturers need that funding to produce tomorrows technology and without people going green well itsa slow process, just think if everyone in the city bought green cars how it would impact our country it would be amazing

we have the technology in vehicles i just think people love gas burners because that is our generation if they had a car that took 20mins to charge, done 400km's on a recharge and u could tow up to 2 ton i would really be keen for a green car but its not realistic yet but i foresee it in our future it may not be in my life time but its going to happen as more efficient electric motors are produced and smaller batteries are designed

i would love to own a green house out in the country on a few acres, my big own solar panel set up with some storage batteries, some wild mountain water to feed my shower, a pile of compost to heat my house ahhh the green technology not a bloody bill to pay

not the end of 2 strokes completely.???

[QUOTE=gazza2006au;1649129]I think your right Noel if a majority of city commuters purchased green cars it would be an almost uplift to what technology we have now, as sale promote more growth in green technology manufacturers need that funding to produce tomorrows technology and without people going green well itsa slow process, just think if everyone in the city bought green cars how it would impact our country it would be amazing

we have the technology in vehicles i just think people love gas burners because that is our generation if they had a car that took 20mins to charge, done 400km's on a recharge and u could tow up to 2 ton i would really be keen for a green car but its not realistic yet but i foresee it in our future it may not be in my life time but its going to happen as more efficient electric motors are produced and smaller batteries are designed

i would love to own a green house out in the country on a few acres, my big own solar panel set up with some storage batteries, some wild mountain water to feed my shower, a pile of compost to heat my house ahhh the green technology not a bloody bill to pay.

https://www.tesla.com/en_AU/modelx/design

The model x does 500 + k and can tow 2 .25 t , not sure about charge time . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......