Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: not the end of 2 strokes completely.???

Re: not the end of 2 strokes completely.???

Quote Originally Posted by myusernam View Post
    this has been coming for ages. Evinrude have always touted it as they are actually the cleanest outboard
    Yes correct, this is no secret government conspiracy that is just going to be thrown at us, it's been in the works, and public knowledge for ages now, how manufacturers build their motors is simply about compliance, cost and market share. Evinrude are putting all their eggs in one basket, they will be the only 2 stroke available to us soon (in my opinion) whether that works for them financially, only time will tell.

Ausfish Silver Member

this has been done b4 noelm. but the main point for others i was touching on and if some care then its for them.. that we may e able to buy dfi 2 strokes.. like it or not some people like 2 strokes as i do...
    ill be somewhere up the creek, happy trails..

Quote Originally Posted by up the creek View Post
    this has been done b4 noelm. but the main point for others i was touching on and if some care then its for them.. that we may e able to buy dfi 2 strokes.. like it or not some people like 2 strokes as i do...
    This debate always comes back to the same points. Old tech carbie engines are going. Good riddance I say. Long live high tech , clean engines. 2 stroke, 3 stroke 4 stroke, its all irrelevant. Cleaner engines is what we are going to get. Power , economy and light weight is always improving with every new generation.
    It struck me on sunday at the boat ramp, how many older carbie jobs struggled to fire up. With my etec, its just turn the key. Sorry, but i have no love for the old stuff. T model fords belong in a museum, lol.

Ausfish Silver Member

andy dfi 2 strokes are 3 star rated like most 4 strokes.... so that not old tech, maybe carb and efi 2 strokes are old tech... and the goverment aint banning 2 strokes as such its all about the amount of emmisions and a dfi 2 stroke is under the amount of emissions allowed... and as for once again this topic being redone... 2 strokes being banned is all a lot of people have heard.. i aint seen many people point out that dfi 2 strokes may be allowed..... i think some people would like to know that... and lastly although optimax and tldi may be scalling down... there may be a market for yes lighter 2 strokes as people with small tenders/tinnies will most likely cry for them... so mercury evinrude and tohatsu may if theres a market down the track, make more dfi 2 strokes for the aussie market. as for weight of 4 strokes they aint getting much lighter quickly....

Evinrude are far too advanced to buckle over and going to 4 stroke technology IMO Evinrude are leading the pack the Etec range is so advanced there engines use less fuel than modern 4 strokes, they may not have the best wrap due to problem's along the way but its what builds a company its how that company advances in a world of technology

i think Evinrude will only advance more and more in the future even tho they almost have perfection now, all i see with manufacturers like Yamaha is they focus on going lighter and lighter technology you can only go so light....

Evinrude pioneered the 2 stroke and now the modern 2 stroke they are here forever its a piece of machinery made in USA u just cannot beat

Ausfish Silver Member

i agree gaz evinrude has set the mark for other.. i dont go for 100% light i got a merc super 41kg over yammie 15 at 36kg as i wanted a strong motor. but when were talking 10s of kilos not a few on a little tender/tinnie it matters a bit more..

Quote Originally Posted by up the creek View Post
    andy dfi 2 strokes are 3 star rated like most 4 strokes.... so that not old tech, maybe carb and efi 2 strokes are old tech... and the goverment aint banning 2 strokes as such its all about the amount of emmisions and a dfi 2 stroke is under the amount of emissions allowed... and as for once again this topic being redone... 2 strokes being banned is all a lot of people have heard.. i aint seen many people point out that dfi 2 strokes may be allowed..... i think some people would like to know that... and lastly although optimax and tldi may be scalling down... there may be a market for yes lighter 2 strokes as people with small tenders/tinnies will most likely cry for them... so mercury evinrude and tohatsu may if theres a market down the track, make more dfi 2 strokes for the aussie market. as for weight of 4 strokes they aint getting much lighter quickly....
    The problem with your theory is when DFI and all the associated equipment is added, the weight advantage just about goes out the door, as does the simplicity, the e- tec is a fine engine, but, and this is only my opinion and guess, Evinrude will be the only ones offering a 2 stroke, I am not saying it's bad, never have, I just wonder if they might just get outplayed regardless if they are better, lighter, more powerful, cheaper or anything else, it's what the market perceives.

Ausfish Silver Member

thats it noelm if only a few,, me included want to see 2 strokes,, it aint gonna happen unless theres a lot of people in the market/caling for them.. and if evinrude is the only 2 strokes on the aussie market in the forseable future then i will be buying one...

I want to see light weight diesel outboards over 150HP mass produced. I’m sure it can be done especially with all the small but powerful 4 cylinder turbo diesel vehicle engines around.

Niche market right there!

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    The problem with your theory is when DFI and all the associated equipment is added, the weight advantage just about goes out the door, as does the simplicity, the e- tec is a fine engine, but, and this is only my opinion and guess, Evinrude will be the only ones offering a 2 stroke, I am not saying it's bad, never have, I just wonder if they might just get outplayed regardless if they are better, lighter, more powerful, cheaper or anything else, it's what the market perceives.
    The problem here is Evinrude is one company they are being out weighed by Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu and Mercury, if it was a 1:1 company comparison Evinrude would win hands down but Evinrude are fighting 5 other competitors with the same technology so there competitors have that leverage over the Evinrude 5:1, i think Evinrude are doing quiet well for them selfs not just because i have one but i have always liked ETecs just there amount of advancement in technology is really interesting where as lets say Honda and Suzuki they built a engine for a car and tossed it on a outboard where is the initiative in that they are just killing two birds with one stone at the same time

Merc Optimax 200 sportjet is still available new and still in production.
    It meets the criteria for sale in aus.
    Fitting one into my next tinny.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    Merc Optimax 200 sportjet is still available new and still in production.
    It meets the criteria for sale in aus.
    Fitting one into my next tinny.
    as i said, at the end of the day, only the clean will survive. I wouldnt worry about whether evinrude survives or not, they are a global company with global sales. They are all good and you just buy whats more suitable at the time. We had the very same argument when we went from HQ dirty motors to HZ clean gutless motors. It only took a couple of years and it got sorted. Just look at what we have now in the car sphere, all high tech , powerfull and economical. It shows to me that sensible government regulations speeds up the process. Forcing the serious players to invest in R&D. No regulations equates to no progress. And believe me, there is a hell of a lot more to come.

Word is that BRP/ Evinrude are now seriously investing in 4 stroke technology.

And not all current DFI 2 strokes meet the new emissions standards, some Optis dont and some TLDI’s dont.

As orhers have said, this has been a long time coming, and its only ever been about meeting higher emissions standards, not the particular technology, wherher that be 4 stroke, 2 stroke or 2 stroke DFI.

And its not just outboards its many other small engines too eg mowers, chainsaws etc etc.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    Word is that BRP/ Evinrude are now seriously investing in 4 stroke technology.

And not all current DFI 2 strokes meet the new emissions standards, some Optis dont and some TLDI’s dont.

As orhers have said, this has been a long time coming, and its only ever been about meeting higher emissions standards, not the particular technology, wherher that be 4 stroke, 2 stroke or 2 stroke DFI.

And its not just outboards its many other small engines too eg mowers, chainsaws etc etc.
    Hard to believe Evinrude are looking at 4 strokes, Do u have any links to suggest this? actually they would be going backwards if they went 4 stroke technology

I’m happy with the decision. Burning oil isn’t the way to go if you’re after clean air.

Diesel isn’t that great either but at least it’s more energy efficient