Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prop for 4.74 V-Sea with 60hp 4 banger

Re: Prop for 4.74 V-Sea with 60hp 4 banger

Hi BigE
    Solas didn’t seem keen on a 4 blade. They seem to only offer 4 blades on larger engines (>90hp).

It’s my mates first boat so he didn’t want to spend too much. Have ordered a 3 blade alloy, 13.8 Dia x 14P. Admittedly Solas was recommending a 13P, but on our request, allowing us to try a 14P.

We’ll have to see how it goes,
    Cheers, Rod

I own a vsea had a 60yammie 2st on it ran a 13 1/4 x 17p revved out fine did 29knots upgraded to 90yammie now I think 14 will still be underpitched......I have 13 1/4 x 15 pitch stainless with removable hub for sale 200 bucks im at lake macquarie

RickM - thanks for the SS offer but have already purchased and started testing with SOLAS alloy.

The engine is the 4stroke 60hp Bigfoot model, which has a 2.3 gear ratio and spins 13.7-14inch diameter props. Standard models have a gear ratio around 1.8. This makes it difficult to compare.

My mate tired the 14P SOLAS and only achieved 5100 WOT maxing out at 22.5 knots GPS.
    We thought about raising his engine a little, but didn’t think it would gain us an extra 500rpm.

He has now exchanged for a 13P and it easily achieves 6000 WOT at 22.7 knots GPS.
    I’m suprised there is such a big WOT rpm difference. It’s all black magic !

Other figures with the 13P are :
    4500 - 16.1 knots (GPS)
    5000 - 18.9 knots
    5500 - 20.7 knots
    Looks like my mate is going to stick with the 13P for now. Understand that a Stainless would generally give slightly better performance. SOLAS actually has more blade options available in Stainless.

Its not impossible to pick up several hundred rpm, even 400, if the engine is currently set way too deep and is then lifted to the correct height.

The accepted wisdom is to first get the engine height set right, then swap props if still necessary.

If it is done the other way (prop first) you can still end up well under the optimum performance. And if you then lift the engine height to where it should be, then the prop is probably wrong all over again.....

Lifting a 60hp is quick easy using the boat trailer method. And its free if you do it yourself.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....