Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vintage reels

Re: Vintage reels

Actually Chris, This is my most valuable DAM. I bought one of these back in 1985 and it was approaching $300 back then.
    GregAttachment 120873

I think this is the frame Banshee was referring to. I am guessing that Col might have one or two of these also.
    ReggyAttachment 120874

Hi Reggy, Yep, the one piece frame Senator and all internal S/S including an upgraded S/S double dog, makes it a real tank, near unbreakable and have hauled in some decent fish on her...
    Gazza, it will be maroon, just faded, forget the black one, to slower gear as mentioned.
    The standard 4/0 H or 6/0 H is more than capable, and will handle a decent sized fish no issue, just swap out the old drag set up and away you go. Frame twist is one issue if you push it to it's maximum, like any posted reel, if you want to chase marlin, then I suggest tricking it up. But just an insight as to what these reels can do, my standard 4/0 H, ( maroon ) with up graded drag, about 30 year ago, succesfully landed a king, tipping the scales at a tad under 65 lb off the three kings in NZ, So they are tough reels standard for sure. I don't think I'd want to do that again, but it does show what these old dinosaurs are capable of.... back then we never had what we have today in regards to modified up grade parts, as mentioned, Tiburon one piece frames etc. I'm currently tricking up a 9/0, which I intend to shark with, there very good reels to modify to your liking, but again, depending on which model, 4/0 or a 6/0, they can be picked up for less than $80 on the big flea bay site, just make sure it's maroon.
    I've shown this before, but this reel, is always out amongst the mix in the spread along side my internationals, and has landed some great fish..... It's only the 4/0 model, she comfortably pulls 30-35lb plus drag, good luck holding onto that standing up LOL
    In the photo was another one piece frame and spool for a second one that size, and the darker one piece frame is for the wide model 4/0, next project......
    It's not for everyone, but standard with basic drag upgrade, doesn't hurt the bank and you could do a lot worse for more money...

Col
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Col the marone is a 4/0

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Great reels Col! I used to have a 6/0 that came with a stock PENN alloy frame. Wish I still had it now.
    Greg

Greg, I think we all had reels at some time or another that we wished we had kept, story of my life ! Now I hoard and have to many....

Gazza, The maroon 4/0 standard, just upgrade drags if it hasn't been already, would be good to go after a clean up/service, for any of your bottom dwellers, they hold a fair amount of line, good for trolling, can be cast if you practice. If you are wanting to target larger species, go for the maroon 6/0, a far better standard reel all round... Look on ebay, a decent 4/0, you should pick up cheaper than $80 and a good 6/0 is about that mark.........
    Depends what you want to use it for ??????

Col

Quote Originally Posted by reggy View Post
    Actually Chris, This is my most valuable DAM. I bought one of these back in 1985 and it was approaching $300 back then.
    GregAttachment 120873
    I can't open any of those attachments,any chance of posting a pic of this reel?........Or is it that the pic is just not coming up on my computer?

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    I can't open any of those attachments,any chance of posting a pic of this reel?........Or is it that the pic is just not coming up on my computer?
    Hi Banshee
    Can you see this one?
    Attachment 120876

Hi Banshee
    Can you see this one?
    Attachment 120876
    No mate just comes up as invalid attachment,must be my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    No mate just comes up as invalid attachment,must be my computer.
    OK, The model DAM in that post is a 3001. They were made from 1980 to 82
    Alan Hawk did a review on the 5001

I like that green one (270 Super?) a lot more,wouldn't be many around in that condition.

Yes, I was lucky to find that one. Made in 1954. I found it on Gumtree. Came from WA.

Go advanced might make a difference?
    P1050976.jpg

This is the left side of my 3001. Hope you can see this pic Banshee

Go advanced might make a difference?
    P1050976.jpg

This is the left side of my 3001. Hope you can see this pic Banshee
    Got it that time.

I do like that 270 Greg, beautiful looking reel.
    Are you fishing with them Greg, or are they shelfy's ??..
    I find myself targeting the vintage Penn's, but see what some of the Guru's do with the "less" collectable vintage ones, and fish them,,, and I can't help myself, very enjoyable, if not costly..... I probably have 4-5 sitting there now waiting to be modified,, but no point until I finish my boat off and get her back in the water...
    I do like a nice old reel I suppose....

Col