Thread: Under Hartd Top Insulation??

Under Hartd Top Insulation??

All, just looking for ideas on what people are using to insulate under their alloy hard tops. I've got 25mm box bearers running on the underside of the roof sheet, my plan was to bond some type of inslalation foam or similiar into those 25mm deep sections and then just line with carpet or felt straight over the top. I did a bit of a google and i see those bunnings style foil boards and also straight foam board, has anyone used these maybe?

Really important that its light, it will need to come in 20mm or 25mm thickness to be workable. Has anyone done something similiar and how did it work out? All ideas welcome.

Scott

Re: Under Hartd Top Insulation??

Gday Scott, I used some self adhesive 12mm high density foam sheeting that I got from Foam and Rubber Industries up here on the sunny coast. It is exactly the same as Concreter’s use for expansion joints only in roll form. It was reasonably priced and easy to apply. I also lined the walls inside my cab with it to reduce the water slap when sleeping. It has certainly reduced this but not stopped it. When Dave did my hardtop, we insulated it then he lined it with composite panel that he sika flexed up. This looked great however when an aerial cable failed I had to destroy the sheet to remove it. I have now bought new sheets and screwed then in place so next time it is an easy removal and refit. The panel is light, cheap and extremely easy to clean. I would recommend it as a lining for the hardtop.
    The only area I get condensation is the bulkhead bit that runs the length of the hardtop, this can’t be insulated.

Cheers
    Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Scott, the roll was either 1000mm or 1200mm wide and you buy it per meter

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

I have similar plans for the front of my Bluefin 4.75m Weekender. I’m using Bouyancy Foam with a carpet covering that I can easily open to access wiring etc.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Probably sheet polystyrene would be as good as anything, light, cheap and easy to cut, simply a few dabs of suitable adhesive to hold it in place, then maybe some thin lightweight lining, screwed in place so you can get to wiring and so on.

Thanks all, AnyWeather, i had a look at the composite sheet Deve normally uses as a liner, thats my fallback, i was trying to avoid the weight of a liner pannel alltogther and just go felt or carpet straight over the insulation product, i can see how it would be a good sollution though given the surface you end up with.

Styrene or bouyancy foam did cross my mind, Noel have you ever seen polystyrene used like this?

Scott

Kind of, you can buy sheets in various thicknesses, and I have seen it used on the sides of a bigger cabin, but no reason it can't be used on a roof, it is a very good insulator, you would just have to find some kind of lightweight trim to cover it, but I am sure there would be something available

Hey Scott.
    Check this stuff out. I use it for air con ductwork.
    Weighs nothing, easy to work with.
    Sounds like what your chasing

http://www.apexinsulation.com.au/ductboard-2/

cheers rob

Thanks Rob, ill chase that suff up, looks a biti similar to the foild board from bunnings, i'll get a few samples of all this stuff and see what works.

polystyrene sheets between the 25mm box bearers and perhaps a sheet of opaque colored suntuf flat sheet glued from bunnings, or would 1.6mm alloy sheet be to heavy.

Spray foam, trim when dry then cover.
    Will never come loose and last at least as long as the boat.
    Jack.