Thread: NSW Government Grants

NSW Government Grants

Just in case this is something that may be of interest to members of this forum.

Applications being called for government grants

https://mailchi.mp/dpi/1nnffc2zwr?e=1c26fb2a8e

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app

Re: NSW Government Grants

quite interesting that they have run out of ideas to spend money on, the artificial reefs are great but only in reach for a few, however if they were to build more wharfs like Tathra/ merimbula wharf then it would incourage more tourist dollars to small coastal communities.

Wharves are only useful if they are protected enough for boats to use them, if you talking about building places that are convenient places to fish from, then that's pretty unlikely, most would end up a mess with boofheads leaving rubbish everywhere, and continued maintenance and public liability would be a big expense. Artificial reef construction is not about being accessible, it's about fish habitat that in the long term increases fish population.
    Last edited by Noelm; 31-10-2018 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Typo

yeah the breakwalls often get rubbish left behind. for the cost of the merimbula reef , which i have no doubt cost a a fortune on paper but just looks like scrap steel from a ex mine site, these grants are spent inappropiately on ideas that arent practical . for starters most breakwalls have a concrete footpath but between their and the carpark will be sand, what about our wheelchair friends and their access.

all recycled concrete to be shipped and dumped off every coastal town few mile offshore. now thats what i call rocky ground.

followed up by a boom in sinker sales, talk about giving the economy some lead.

I think you are missing the point, breakwaters are made to protect harbours and river entrances, they are not built to be convenient land based fishing spots, wheelchair access is NOT required, some breakwaters are fenced off so as to prevent people getting on them, the authorities don't do this just to piss people off. I fish land based regularly, and sometimes have to walk through bush, or over rocks to get to places I want to fish, doesn't mean I expect someone to build a road so I can drive my car right to the waters edge.

If you are talking about fishing platforms - rather than a jetty for boats...... then it is a good idea . From memory , they have a couple some on the Clyde river . Sydney harbour should have several of these & the same goes for places like Jervis Bay , Pt Stephens , Coffs Hbr etc -

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Yes, completely different to breakwaters and boating jetties though, there is thousands of places that have easy access, even for wheel chairs to fish land based, and these should not be confused with structures built for boating/shipping harbours and the like. There is a few great places very close to me, at Lake Illawarra, even though I live within walking distance, during summer, we drive over, take a picnic lunch, some kids rods and gear and do the "tourist" thing, we have a great time, the kids catch Whiting and swim, I doubt there is too many people utilise the tourist facilities in their local area.