Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noosa Wide 27th-28th October

Noosa Wide 27th-28th October

Gday guys, just a quick report from Noosa on the weekend. Hit the bar at 0530 Saturday with a 15-20 knot Sou Easterly easing in the afternoon predicted. Checked live reports of DI and Cape Moreton to see it was easing from stringer overnight so expected an ordinary trip out but it should get better. Yeh it was pretty breezy but very workable. Arrived at the Hards for some good shows but little biting. The current was good so after a quick fish for a bit of a rest, we continued to the Loren G wreck and once again, good shows with little result. Continued deeper, 220m, little current and lots of looking to find fish, small shows only and just pickers with a couple of small high fin snapper. Worked 20km north of the Hards to find the current unfishable. At 5.00pm the call was made to head back to the Hards to an area I was told the snapper would bite on dark. Found a spot to camp, anchored up and after the sun was gone, the fish came on!!!!! Quality snapper!!!! Ended up with 2 oversize and 10 between 60-68cm. I have never had the opportunity to be so picky as to what was kept.
    Went to bed with 7 quality snapper expecting the morning bite to be similar which it was. Wind blew nor nor westerly all night and the morning sea was pretty flat. First drop saw the quality snapper were still on. Topped up the bag and let plenty more go. Hard to throw back 60cm snapper when some trips they are the best fish. Back to noosa at 55km/h on a dead flat sea.
    I just hope one day I can replicate this trip.

CClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0468.jpeg 
Views:	0 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	118051Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0471.jpeg 
Views:	0 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	118052
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Re: Noosa Wide 27th-28th October

Great trip Lee. Got to love a perfect bag of snaps.
    How deep were you fishing?

I was heading downstream on the ferry at Noosa yesterday, and saw a sexy looking Rip Tide that looked familiar tided up on the bank. That explains where I had seen her before.

Good to see some one making the most of the weather.

Cheers
    Rob

smashed it, plastics or fresh bait. quality result

Hi Rob, yeh could have been me, I was camped in the caravan park. Fishing 70m

Cheers
    Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Cat shark, all bait mate and they weren’t fussy. The first morning fish were taken on pillies that had been on hooks all night after not losing them the night before after the fishing shut down. Pillies, mullet fillets and tailor fillets.

Lee

Good to see a report . I've been trying to get up that way for a while , just can't get another boat to come with me as I have to leave from Newport. Sam .

Gday Sam, I am at Caloundra and keen to go up from there. Let me know when your going and if I am off I may be able to follow you. I probably won’t be keeping up with you but I could meet you there.

Cheers
    Lee

All good mate pm me your number when you get a chance . My boat may be a 9m riptide but I still don't go on any different forecast as a boat around 7m . I m too old for that stuff. I'm sure you'll keep up. Sam .

Just a heads up from my house I burn around 600 lt for the trips I do but I don't have a car to tow this thing as I don't have a semi ! Just a cruiser . That's with the twin 250's

Yeh no worries Sam, I would think I would be looking at about 350-400lt for the trip from Caloundra. I did 315lt from noosa. I did do a bit of running around, about 270km.
    I would be looking for a 10-15kt forecast to do it from here. I had a look and it is about 90km from Caloundra bar to the area we got our fish.

Sam, do you still do the deep dropping offshore from Moreton?

Just on the odd occasion, work gets in the way a fair bit . The big trips from here are about 190km each way but that's from Newport

It's not too bad for me as I hold 900 lt . It's just hard to get a boat that can do those sort of miles as a back up . Remember 2 boats are better than one. Safety first. Get the boys home alive , fish is just a Bonus.

AW
    you cant do that ...... haven't you being reading all the posts that say the snapper are fished out and we we need tighter bag limits??? LOL

Nice haul mate , good to see a report , love it when they come on the chew , had a similar session off the cape. (pillies did the damage for me as well)

BigE

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    AW
    you cant do that ...... haven't you being reading all the posts that say the snapper are fished out and we we need tighter bag limits??? LOL

Nice haul mate , good to see a report , love it when they come on the chew , had a similar session off the cape. (pillies did the damage for me as well)

BigE
    i can’t speak for the bay or the Gold Coast but I reckon the Snapper fishing from Caloundra to DI area has been slowly improving for at least 5 years now. Seems to be a lot more 60+ models around.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.