Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819

Re: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Jason if the spring hanger is not welded all around the galvanizer will refuse to galvanize it

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Jason if the spring hanger is not welded all around the galvanizer will refuse to galvanize it
    I can see the reason why they would do that and that might be a reason why most are u bolted to the chassis but the fact is the welds will crack I have repaired enough of them to know this from box trailers through to semis so I would only be running a real quick cold pass across it with sweet f a penetration as it only needs to act as a seal so moisture doesn’t get in between the parent materials

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Green View Post
    I can see the reason why they would do that and that might be a reason why most are u bolted to the chassis but the fact is the welds will crack I have repaired enough of them to know this from box trailers through to semis so I would only be running a real quick cold pass across it with sweet f a penetration as it only needs to act as a seal so moisture doesn’t get in between the parent materials

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    Box trailers are one thing i have owned a few i currently own a bike trailer now but with boat trailers the spring hangers arnt welded directly to the frame they are welded to a length of angle iron the reason is the angle iron can slide the drive train forward or backwards to suit different boats over the live of the trailer now being a boat trailer that whole angle iron and spring hangers gets hot dipped in galvanize i have been on one web site where they show u images of good products that pass and some that don't pass one is there should be no over lapping of metals unless its fully sealed by a weld i think they do this as the gal coating may not reach right in the crevis and the gal company would be liable for it rusting out

Ranmar this is the only trailer i can find that is kind of comparable

5.8m $6500 i'll be in it a little over $3000 i hope but most definitly not a $2000 trailer as originally thought

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aluminiu...ef4e%7Ciid%3A1

Ausfish Gold Member

My build, using all new materials, (except brakes assembly and winch) then galvanising, cost me over $4k, from memory. Tandem load sharing, override brakes on one axle, for a 6m Quintrex CC. Galvanising ( and the freight, 600k each way) cost over a grand, IIRC. But it was very sturdy, all material was 4mm and 6mm, at least $8k for equivilent. I did the compliance plate thing so everything was kosher for resale.

Nice, in NSW when it goes gor a registration inspection known as a blue slip it under goes a structual design check by a engineer who is usually the head mechanic

Last engineers check i had done was for a trailer i beefed up springs i was charged an additional $40 from memory

i got one of these trailers , they are chinese, the u-bolts arent the greatest quality but evrything else does the job
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Ranmar this is the only trailer i can find that is kind of comparable

5.8m $6500 i'll be in it a little over $3000 i hope but most definitly not a $2000 trailer as originally thought

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aluminiu...ef4e%7Ciid%3A1