Page 73 of 79 FirstFirst ... 236364656667686970717273747576777879 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 1181

Thread: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Re: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Quote Originally Posted by shaungonemad View Post
    How did you end up with metal in your knuckles? I go through hundreds of discs every year and don’t have issues like that. I must be a bit different I love drilling holes, sounds like you need to sharpen your drills or use a bit of cutting fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    yep, nothing like drilling through a lump of metal with a sharp bit!

Quote Originally Posted by ericcs View Post
    yep, nothing like drilling through a lump of metal with a sharp bit!
    Yeah nothing like seeing them big spirals coming off that’s when you know you have done a good job sharpening bits, would put a horn on a jellyfish for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by shaungonemad View Post
    Yeah nothing like seeing them big spirals coming off that’s when you know you have done a good job sharpening bits, would put a horn on a jellyfish for sure.

I have quite a few blunt bits, Shaun..., what would be the best way for a home handyman to sharpen them..?

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    I have quite a few blunt bits, Shaun..., what would be the best way for a home handyman to sharpen them..?
    your here in Brisbane?

I'm about as good at sharpening drills as I am at sharpening knives....damn hopeless.

The drill bit is still new doubt your getting a spiral from a 12mm bit into hard steel it usually chips the steel out unless u guys are turning a 12mm bit at 40rpm to get the spiral? The bench drill only goes down to 300rpm

These new bunnings 1.2mm disc are crap i put the metal imbedded into skin due to the cutting disc i really should have used the grinder guard tho never had this problem before

Noel nah they dont sell brackets this size unless they are pre drilled with holes i dont need so had to make them

Quote Originally Posted by ericcs View Post
    your here in Brisbane?
    no mate..FNQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I'm about as good at sharpening drills as I am at sharpening knives....damn hopeless.
    Yeah I know the feeling..

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Chippy of thirty years and never been good at any sharpening other than my chisels.
    Matilda

I had to draw a line on my bench grinder so i could remember the angle to grind my drill bits at worked good but little 5-6mm drill bits are harder to get equil both sides

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Well I’m sure this is nowhere near the most ideal but I just use my 4” grinder depending on the size of the bit and how bad it is I use either a flap disc if it’s bad or a cutting disc for a bit of a touch up. I usually hold the grinder in my left hand whilst running with the bottom side up, then I bring the bit in on the correct angle make contact and twist the bit with increasing pressure, then do the other side. I’m sure that there are plenty of videos around showing how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    I had to draw a line on my bench grinder so i could remember the angle to grind my drill bits at worked good but little 5-6mm drill bits are harder to get equil both sides
    If you place two nuts together that gives you a pretty good guide on the angle.

I have made the desicion to run just 2 bunks i am over drilling steel, 200mm bunks are too far apart 100mm bunks are too close together, im going to further look into the hardwood bunks mostly tasmanian oak hardwood and see if the shop can cut them down from 200mm to 165mm this im hopping will have about a 1000mm gap between bunks

I doubt anyone will cut timber length wise for you, buy a cheap Ozito circular saw, (or other "disposable brand) use the guide and you will cut it easy (and straight)

Just had a brainwave, can you just cut "notches" in the timber to suit the bracket height? that way you can vary the height according to the notch depth, plus it will be simple to do.

Yeah i have never hada shop cut lengthwise only short drop cuts, i bought a Triton circular saw before the last big hardware chain changed to Bunnings i forget the name anyway the saw is absolute rubbish the tensioner for the blade depth was plastic and the nut backed out of the end rendering it totally useless

I will try look for a second hand makita

I was thinking of cutting the bunks high at the front and low at the rear for kind of an easier angle to drive the boat off will this work or should i keep them one size right through the length?