Page 19 of 79 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282969 ... LastLast

Thread: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Re: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Jason if the spring hanger is not welded all around the galvanizer will refuse to galvanize it

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Jason if the spring hanger is not welded all around the galvanizer will refuse to galvanize it
    I can see the reason why they would do that and that might be a reason why most are u bolted to the chassis but the fact is the welds will crack I have repaired enough of them to know this from box trailers through to semis so I would only be running a real quick cold pass across it with sweet f a penetration as it only needs to act as a seal so moisture doesn’t get in between the parent materials

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Green View Post
    I can see the reason why they would do that and that might be a reason why most are u bolted to the chassis but the fact is the welds will crack I have repaired enough of them to know this from box trailers through to semis so I would only be running a real quick cold pass across it with sweet f a penetration as it only needs to act as a seal so moisture doesn’t get in between the parent materials

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    Box trailers are one thing i have owned a few i currently own a bike trailer now but with boat trailers the spring hangers arnt welded directly to the frame they are welded to a length of angle iron the reason is the angle iron can slide the drive train forward or backwards to suit different boats over the live of the trailer now being a boat trailer that whole angle iron and spring hangers gets hot dipped in galvanize i have been on one web site where they show u images of good products that pass and some that don't pass one is there should be no over lapping of metals unless its fully sealed by a weld i think they do this as the gal coating may not reach right in the crevis and the gal company would be liable for it rusting out

Ranmar this is the only trailer i can find that is kind of comparable

5.8m $6500 i'll be in it a little over $3000 i hope but most definitly not a $2000 trailer as originally thought

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aluminiu...ef4e%7Ciid%3A1

Ausfish Platinum Member

My build, using all new materials, (except brakes assembly and winch) then galvanising, cost me over $4k, from memory. Tandem load sharing, override brakes on one axle, for a 6m Quintrex CC. Galvanising ( and the freight, 600k each way) cost over a grand, IIRC. But it was very sturdy, all material was 4mm and 6mm, at least $8k for equivilent. I did the compliance plate thing so everything was kosher for resale.

Nice, in NSW when it goes gor a registration inspection known as a blue slip it under goes a structual design check by a engineer who is usually the head mechanic

Last engineers check i had done was for a trailer i beefed up springs i was charged an additional $40 from memory

i got one of these trailers , they are chinese, the u-bolts arent the greatest quality but evrything else does the job
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Ranmar this is the only trailer i can find that is kind of comparable

5.8m $6500 i'll be in it a little over $3000 i hope but most definitly not a $2000 trailer as originally thought

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aluminiu...ef4e%7Ciid%3A1

Its almost that time to get parts galvanized fella's i just need to drill 2 holes in the front L cross member, drill 4 holes in the front Y joint upper plate and trim it to the size of the lower plate than the parts are ready to drop off

i just got my spring hangers out of the shed to ask for advice on the mig welds first 5 pics are mig welds do u think they'll knock me back? welds in the next post are tig welds and are much more solid

i just put the spring hangers on the bathroom scales and they come in at 45.4kg for both sides, Galvanizing will cost $3.9 per kilo of finished weight so im defiantly looking at around the $250 mark for galvanizing the 5 pieces i am thinking of just going with a already gal drawbar i am upgrading from the 100x100x3mm to 100x100x5mm

remember i cant mig weld for the life of me and it shows so these are not show stopping welds

For the trolls on Aus Fish please stay out of the thread... Will these tig welds pass for gal process with the pin holes? i had porosity in the weld

The galvanisers won't care how good or bad your welds are, they just dip them, good bad or other wise. It's a bit hard to tell from the photos, but, they might want them sand blasted.

Is that to remove the slag? I can chip the rest of that off or use the wire brush

No, to remove the rust from the big section, it's hard to tell from the picture how much rust is on it, you will need to remove any slag, the galvanising will not stick to it at all.

Its only surface rust i thought they dip it in a acid bath before coating would this be additional cost? If so i may have clean it my self before i drop it off just so im not slugged $300-$400

I would be very surprised if the acid dip got all that rust off. I would get it sand blasted before galv dipping.

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

hit that surface rust with flapper discs or the other ones look like a dried noodle thingy ma jig, on your drill be gone in no time at all.