Page 56 of 79 FirstFirst ... 6464748495051525354555657585960616263646566 ... LastLast

Thread: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Re: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Hey guys pulling the cross membersoff and shortening the i beams is just way to much work that ispretty much going back to the beginning

The trailer isonly 2 meters wide mudguard to mudguard if i were to shorten the width the boat will over hang on the sides of the trailer

I think i just need to go the 40mm axles, 13" inch wheels and new mudguards

OK, it was just a thought.

why do you want the boat to be within the rails of the trailer ?
    No boat ive owned has had a trailer setup like that
    most have the chines sitting above the middle to outer edge of the guards

HI Gaz

Got a quick Q for you how much has this project in time and money cost you so far ( true cost because time is money as well.)
    In my eyes there is no such thing as a budget product when your not in the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    OK, it was just a thought.
    Hey Noel just all that drilling again its so much work drilling the aluminium is tiring but redrilling the steel just pushes me over the top it took a very long time to drill all those holes than i would have to match the new holes with the old it would just be a big mess

Quote Originally Posted by MADKEEN View Post
    HI Gaz

Got a quick Q for you how much has this project in time and money cost you so far ( true cost because time is money as well.)
    In my eyes there is no such thing as a budget product when your not in the industry.
    That has gone out the window... just my transom took 35 hours the hull has taking over 100 hours easy peezy i reckon the trailer has too

But the thing is i cant save money i suck so saving $14,000 to get my boat done professionally was out of the question

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Hey Noel just all that drilling again its so much work drilling the aluminium is tiring but redrilling the steel just pushes me over the top it took a very long time to drill all those holes than i would have to match the new holes with the old it would just be a big mess
    Hi Gaz
    Hence my suggestion to buy assembled trailer components (as you can afford them) that you can bolt on to mainframe and move around to balance hull on trailer when boat is finished. No drilling holes required, at least this was the case for my recent project. Cheers SS

Hey Sea when i started the trailer 2 years ago i couldnt find basic pre built parts like tandem spring/mudguard hangers back than only single ones were available i wouldhave jumped at buying a pair pre built mine took ages to build and lots of stress

I think im going to power on with the hull and get that finished than let my umm spending on the trailer hopefully disappear.. about 3k on the trailer and i have to change so many things its really dissapointing so when i restart on it it wont be a budget trailer but rather a spend what i have to to correct any screw ups at any cost and kick my self for it

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Hey Sea when i started the trailer 2 years ago i couldnt find basic pre built parts like tandem spring/mudguard hangers back than only single ones were available i wouldhave jumped at buying a pair pre built mine took ages to build and lots of stress

I think im going to power on with the hull and get that finished than let my umm spending on the trailer hopefully disappear.. about 3k on the trailer and i have to change so many things its really dissapointing so when i restart on it it wont be a budget trailer but rather a spend what i have to to correct any screw ups at any cost and kick my self for it
    Don't be too hard on yourself. You are not the first and certainly not the last person to make a few mistakes on a new project. SS

Just a bloody hard learning curve what once was a $2000 build budget now sits at $3000 and another $1000 to rectify the mistakes

I have found two trailers awaiting confirmation that they are both still for sale both are 18 foot trailers if one happens to follow me home tomorrow so be it

One is completely ready to chuck rego on and use it that day which neans i only need to seal my hull and roll the trailer under it, finish off my hull and im settin sail

If i do grab one of these i'll flog the ally trailer off for fa i am over the stress of this project

I thought the Baron was a 19 Footer, not saying it won't fit only saying to make sure it fits.

Gazza, This is not a criticism in any way, nor am I judging, but you've come this far with it, I recon you need to consider finishing it and seeing it out to the end ???
    The hard work is done, sure, there's some issues that need sorting, which I know you can fix. Be a shame after all the expense and sweat involved to walk away from it... You've done the hard stuff.
    The $300 spent on that eye in the sky would have gone a long way to getting new parts needed for the trailer ! Just sayin....
    Your call of course, but take a breather, have another good look at what's needed to get your build trailer back on track again....

I get into the same frame of mind quite often with projects I take on, when I do, i know it's time to take a break, walk away, then come back with a better frame of mind, then the issues I was having in the first place seem to disappear and I get on with it again...
    I walked away from my boat a month or so ago, I needed a break. I'd achieved a fair bit, with the help of blokes on here with my wiring and set up,, then had a stumbling block moment with filter set up down back and it was getting frustrating, So, decided to walk away for a break... I'll start again over the Xmas break and I know I'll achieve more by having taking that break and pondering over it.

You've already achieved more than what most have ever attempted, think this one thru Gazza, it would be a shame to cut your losses and walk away from it, but would give you some major feel good, if you got it sorted and finished off what you've started, the hard parts already done bud.....

Just saying...

Col

Gaz you have gained so much invaluable knowledge with the projects so even if the trailer was to cost the same as a new one you would still be in front. It’s going to be awesome also you don’t want to inherit a whole bunch of new issues by buying a second hand trailer

I just woke up so i havent been down the coast for the other trailer

I do have finances enough to buy all the trailer parts to complete the trailer its just a massive root around doing all this stuff a 2nd time trailer is such a downer