Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Sailfish S8

  1. #1

    Sailfish S8

    Hi Guys
    New at this, so be gentle! Not sure if my last post went through, so this may be doubled up.

    My mate is looking at buying a new Sailfish S8 but needs to to talk to owners and get in for a ride.
    Brisbane/gold Coast area. All decent comments and help appreciated. He has spoken to Sailfish themselves, but now wanting to talk with owners.
    Good/ bad and not so good.

    Cheers
    Mal

  2. #2

    Re: Sailfish S8

    What does he want out of a cat? Quick pros and cons:

    Pros: cheaper on fuel than the Fibreglass cats, cheaper to tow, better transducer placement for sounding, can customise easier than fibreglass builder and quicker build times. smaller donks needed to push boat so cheaper than fibre.

    Cons: galvanic corrosion, paint issues over time, due to lack of weight probably a slightly firmer ride than a KC or NC, lower re sale value than KC and NC. Will be subject to stress fractures over time.

    I just went through this myself and ended up with fibreglass due to end resale value and better ride...

  3. #3

    Re: Sailfish S8

    Quote Originally Posted by baitable View Post
    What does he want out of a cat? Quick pros and cons:

    Pros: cheaper on fuel than the Fibreglass cats, cheaper to tow, better transducer placement for sounding, can customise easier than fibreglass builder and quicker build times. smaller donks needed to push boat so cheaper than fibre.

    Cons: galvanic corrosion, paint issues over time, due to lack of weight probably a slightly firmer ride than a KC or NC, lower re sale value than KC and NC. Will be subject to stress fractures over time.

    I just went through this myself and ended up with fibreglass due to end resale value and better ride...

    Hi Baitable
    He has come out of a 7m mono .(which I still have, and he has just recently sold his )
    Ride and stability is the start of what he is looking for I guess. He has never been in an alloy cat. We have both seen the finish and useability of the Sailfish over the years and have been pretty impressed.
    He has been talked out of the Kevlacat 2400 due to its handling, but all this is going to someone who hasnt had a whole lot to do with trailable cats.
    Please no one jump in on this as an argument, as the main reason for starting this was to begin getting pros and cons of the Sailfish( and cats in general) and to talk to owners to get some real ideas of performance and handling. And hopefully get a few rides on each for comparison.
    None of these guys(Noosa or Kevla) seem to have demo boats to take you out, and their sales pitch is as good as any . Hard to spend over $200K believing a sales pitch.....
    Most of his fishing is out of 1770/Gladstone for 2/3 day trips around the reefs.
    He is also looking at the NC2400, but the delivery for a new one is ridiculous.
    My interest in this is also to learn a long the way at his expense, and to help a good mate spend his money .

    Cheers

  4. #4

    Re: Sailfish S8

    Iíve got zero experience but if you send a private message to Ausfish member ďBack in BlackĒ he might have some information on the Sailfish brand as he owned/owns one.
    He was a regular on here a few years back and posted some ripper reports.
    He fished out on the Barwon banks and used the Noosa bar crossing to access outside so would definitely no what they are like.
    Matilda

  5. #5

    Re: Sailfish S8

    Quote Originally Posted by Cruisy1 View Post
    Hi Guys
    New at this, so be gentle! Not sure if my last post went through, so this may be doubled up.

    My mate is looking at buying a new Sailfish S8 but needs to to talk to owners and get in for a ride.
    Brisbane/gold Coast area. All decent comments and help appreciated. He has spoken to Sailfish themselves, but now wanting to talk with owners.
    Good/ bad and not so good.

    Cheers
    Mal
    Send me a message mate- have a mate with a sailfish and a mate with a nc. I used to own a glacier bay and am now over to the nc clan...

  6. #6

    Re: Sailfish S8

    Iím surprised to hear someone was talked out of a 2400 KC because of handling. Iíd back the KC to ride better than the S8. The S8 having a better cabin layout and hard top set up.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  7. #7

    Re: Sailfish S8

    Yep agree, I can't think of any reason someone would pass one up on ride, unless he was trying to sell some other brand?

  8. #8

    Re: Sailfish S8

    Hi baitable
    I think I have sent you a message but Not sure if sent correctly?
    Cheers
    Mal

  9. #9
    Ausfish Silver Member Dirtyfuzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sunshine Coast

    Re: Sailfish S8

    Was probably Wayne Hennig😂
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

  10. #10

    Re: Sailfish S8

    Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Yep agree, I can't think of any reason someone would pass one up on ride, unless he was trying to sell some other brand?
    yeh that's a strange one.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyfuzz View Post
    Was probably Wayne Hennig
    Thats funny. In that size range the NC's would arguably be the boats that could have a better ride than the KC. Though I think an S8 is over a metre longer so that may bring it closer to the ride of the KC.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us