Page 1 of 79 123456789101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Few weeks from now guys i will start my aluminium trailer build the only salvageable parts off my current tandem trailer are the drive train so here goes on a DIY home build on a limited budget of around $1500

Parts list
    used parts i have
    1x used mechanical braked axle (Will likely be converted to hydraulic) (front)
    1x used rolling axle (rear)
    4x used wheels which are 6.00-9 rated 510kg per tyre
    2x twin mudguards

new items below
    2x 6-6.5m lengths of 130mm I beam (Outside rails) $600
    1x 6-6.5m 80x80x6mm SHS aluminium (Cross members) $350
    1x length of 90x90x3mm SHS steel (drawbar) unsure $60?
    2 sets of 1000kg springs (1800kg rating) $100
    2 sets of U bolts and fish plates $65
    a bunch of 80mm U bolts with nuts price not sure depends on length
    a bunch of regular M12 HT bolts with nuts various lengths price not sure depends on length
    couple lengths of 240mm pine sleepers from Bunnings (Bunks) $30?
    carpet for above bunks $25?
    set of led lights with attached wiring and plug $40
    trailer coupling (Hydraulic with bottle) $100
    hydraulic cable $95
    missing spring hangers and spring support bar i already have angle iron to make the SB, unsure on which post so not design yet or cost

all up cost of new parts comes to $1465 plus the extra's i need, nuts, bolts, steel etc..

Re: Aluminium Trailer Build Tandem Axle (On a budget)

Anyone know if there is one standard size brake mounting plate for all disc hubs or know where i could find the dimensions for bolt hole to hole and overall disc sizing?

my old mechanical brakes are no good reason i want to go hydraulic

Spruce up the old ones gazza.

https://www.colliermiller.com.au/cat...unting-flanges

gazza you can buy these and just weld on. There are different size rota's so you need to work out what size you require. This is governed by the capacity of the trailer and the required braking required in the ADR for trailers. As an example the trailer I just built it needed 12in to comply with what I was doing. If you haven't downloaded a copy of the ADR which is free, do so as being the builder you are responsible that the design complies with the standard's. Important you get it right as you can be in some serious trouble if the said trailer fails and causes a accident or injury as they will go hunting for the cause.

I am not trying to give you negative feedback just a heads up. Hell lots of people build their own trailers it's just something to keep in the back of the mind.

Gazza, what grade ally you using, 5052 as a minimum for a trailer.

dimensions of outside rails and cross members sound spot on, the 3mm drawbar is a red flag for me. new trailers are going 100X100 draw bar by 5-6mm...maybe this sizing could be the new regulation, just a guess though. also am looking forward to your progress on this project.

Fed u seriously reckon i could revive those brakes? They were disconnected when i towed the boat home so they may be seized they just look really rusty ay but i have never owened a braked trailer

Brett i have read the ADR before but i missed the bit about disc sizing i just assumed all disc were the same untill today i seen 10" and i think 12"

Dig it will be 5082 T5 or T6 not meant to bend it but my bends will only be slight bends

Cat its going to be steel drawbar mate i could go all aluminium but i dont like the idea of a bolt on safety chain and if i ever need to whinh the boat on i dont want the drawbar to kink from the weight of the boat

The old calipers will clean up ok. 600. 9 wheels and tyres under a 2 ton boat??? What weight will the boat go when loaded??

Hey Gon those 6.00-9 are rated to i think 2040kg total for 4 wheels, i dont actually know what my boat weighs mate i have done a little research on the boats american built name and a chart came up i got a rough idea of 1800lb's or just under 1 ton bare hull but who really knows i was also told the hains hunter 19 foot was a knock off of my hull it was just stretched that extra foot in length

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Brett i have read the ADR before but i missed the bit about disc sizing i just assumed all disc were the same untill today i seen 10" and i think 12"
    The ADR will refer you to Australian Standards for this and many other items. For the capacity trailer you are building 10" should do the job.

Plan will be something like this, because the boat is long i have extended the A frame so its less degree bends on the i beams

Kind of sitting on the fence about this one looking to buy the aluminium this week not sure if to go with 100mm or 130mm as i know i can bend the 100mm material i dont want to sink $750 in to the 130mm i beams and i ..... it up, Not sure if Capral Aluminium will sell me a cut of 1 meter to test bend of the 130mm i beam

also not sure weather to reuse my old drive train or just buy a new trailer build kit with a 1400kg single axle

what would u guys do? do u think 100mm i beam would be sufficent? current trailer is 100x50x3mm and 70x50x3mm RHS steel